River fishing near Cedar Rapids

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Icebox33, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Icebox33

Icebox33 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was just wondering if anyone has been fishing on the Cedar, Wapsi, or Iowa Rivers near CR...? I havent had any luck as of yet this year. We attempted to go fishing last weekend at some spots on the Iowa River but most of the secondary roads to where we were headed were underwater and impassable. Did a little bit of fishing in the Amana area but managed only managed to catch a carp! (using nightcrawlers of course)

I dont have a boat so all my fishing is done on the banks....anyone have any suggestions for good spots in my neck of the woods?

2. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Before I got a boat, I usually did pretty good below the dam at Coralville .... If you can time it to when they are cranking up the flow you can really get into them (I'm from Davenport so it's hardly ever works out for me) ... Nice thing is if you have a casting net you can always get shad for bait up by the outlet, leeches were also working pretty good when I there in late July, and I was lucky enough to trade some shad I had netted for a dozen of them