River fishing for blue catfish - Best Size To Cut Bait??

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Ryan 57, May 14, 2008.

1. Ryan 57

Ryan 57 New Member

State:
    Illinios
    I have been river fishing for quite a while now and I have never caught a blue over 25lbs. I catch tons of smaller ones but no monsters. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the size bait I am using?? I usually use skipjack cut into a 2in. by 2in. chunk. Should I go bigger????

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Make the fish dictate how big of bait you use. Some nights they don't care how big it is they are going to smash it. Other nights they may prefer a small chunk. Big bait big fish also holds true.

3. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Josh, hit the nail on the head! I have been set-up and using BIG baits and didnt get a bite for 30minutes and changed to small chunks and "Bingo"!:eek:oooh:

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I think it is best in any situation to try a variety of types and sizes of baits on each trip and see which ones perform the best before you decide on a set type and size.

Fish are going to change their minds on what they want as conditions change, even conditions that we do not notice.

5. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I think you have gotten the right idea's guys.

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to use only big baits big fish but I have changed that technique. Like the guys are saying trying a few different sizes. Sometimes I think if they have been feeding heavy they may not be wanting a big chunk of bait but if you present a little chunk well its like a cookie after a big dinner you can still find room for just one small cookie.

7. Ryan 57

Ryan 57 New Member

State:
    Illinios
    Thanks for the info guys, will try different sizes next time i'm out!

8. I believe that the bigger the bait the more likely you are to catch bigger fish.

sTRICTLY Catfish

9. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    some of the biggest blues I have landed was on small bait ( 1in x 1in )

10. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    When we bank fish we always use two poles and for good reason. The big outfit or "Homerun Pole" gets a whole skipjack with 10/0 and 8/0 octopus circles or kahles tied in tandem like Wild Wolf products sells from Lakeview Ark. Hook skip thru nostril then out middle of chin to prevent spinning from open mouth . A common problem when hooked thru the eyes in current. The other pole uses smaller hooks from 6/0 circles to #1 eagle claw baitholders. The 4/0 gama kahle is a favorite. Let the fish tell you what they are biting on! Fish both for a true comparison . Big fish seem to zero in on the lightest outfits at times. Good fishing!:cool2:

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    -i would try using the head cut the head off about a inch behind the gill plates so you have a little meat and also take a pair of syscors and cut the gill plates off to exspose the red gills we do this with our shad and seems to work well.

also try a big fillet of the skip jack and trim off the rib cage and just use a nice thick fillet meat about 3 to 6 inches long.