RIVER FISHING CARP

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT, Apr 3, 2009.

1. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

:0a26:I switched all my cat &carp rods over to braid about 10 years ago.I use 80 for cats & 65 for my carp rods.It worked out fine for the cats because i was usung a lot bigger hook.I fish in a lot of real snaggy spots and I couldn,t find any hooks that wouldn,t straghten out on me when i tried to put some real pressure on them to keep them from reaching a snag.Finally found 1 that,ll take as much pressure as you can put on it with 65.It,s the mustad big gun live bait hook.I,ve used them before for cats but the smallest size i could find them in was1/0.Cabelas carries them from size 4 thru 8/0.They only list the smaller sizes in their saltwater catalog though.Hope this puts some more fish on the bank for somebody.

2. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use laser circle hooks when i go out for some big cats.. Just last night i got snagged on one of my 150lb+ rope setups. Me and my brother pulled the line as hard as we could and the rope itself broke before hook went straight.. I get them at cabelas.. Ill take a pic soon but i never ever ever had them go straight on me.

PS 150+ meaning the rope can hold up to 150 lbs + its not to thick, about ahh shoe string size but its braided nylon.

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i don't have any problems with 8/0 gama octopus circle hooks, those are very strong with some back bone, couple weeks ago i used some 7/0 sickle hooks but they don't have the back bone and i could see those gettin bent, but they work nice if ya want to set the hook and cross some eyes