River Fishing around Salina

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by AustinSalina, Jun 7, 2009.

1. AustinSalina

AustinSalina New Member

State:
    KS
    Hi Everyone! I've just joined here, it looks like a great community and I'm looking forward to learning from, getting to know, and communicating with all of you!

I've lived in Salina for several years now. Until recently it seemed that I have been too busy to do any fishing (College and work for the first four years I lived here, and then solid work for the last four), and now I've really been missing it and am looking to get back into river fishing around the local area.

I grew up in North Western Kansas, and have the most fond memories of river fishing for catfish on my grandfather's farm, fishing from the North Solomon River near Edmond, KS. There is something about river fishing that I absolutely love compared to lake fishing, maybe it's the privacy and quiet or even just the great memories of fishing with family in my youth.

I was curious of where I can get started river fishing around the Salina area. Where would I be able to fish without permission (am I able to walk down to any river by a bridge, or good public domain places, or even any locals that would be fine with myself and my wife fishing on their land)? Are there any particularly good spots (I would love to give the area where the Solomon, Saline and Smoky Hill meet up)? Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated, I would consider myself a novice but a novice that truly enjoys river fishing in general!

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC Austin! There are a few guys around Salina that should be able to help. My mom also lives there and has finally taken up fishing. She is supposed to get on here and make an account. I know there are some spots up near Niles if you feel like doing some scouting. Good luck!!

3. liltroy

liltroy New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas,
    i might be able to help you :big_smile:

4. AustinSalina

AustinSalina New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks guys! Liltroy, I would certainly appreciate it. What I need is a local mentor of sorts and a good friend to fish with from time to time is a great thing to have too.

I certainly don't mind doing some scouting. Today I was going to drive south of New Cambria a bit. Again, still not sure of what the rules are as far as fishing the river (if it is fine to just park on the side of the road and fish, etc). Thanks for the support!

5. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Some guys go on the east side of Indian Rock Park in Salina too. Also mom called today and said she was catchin a few out at Saline Co Lake.

6. AustinSalina

AustinSalina New Member

State:
    KS
    Had a good chat with liltroy about some locations (thanks Troy!). Actually my wife and I were out at Saline Co Lake yesterday, and our only catch less some young sunfish was a small catfish that I happened to take a picture of with my cellphone camera.

Attached Files:

7. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Mom just called and she got 3 today. Two 3-5 pounders and a smaller one. She was using that cheap bait shrimp from the supermarket. She has never been a fisher til recently so she had to call me to ask how to clean em lol. Her name here is Karensalina, maybe you guys could get together and do some fishin!

8. karensalina

karensalina New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have the same question as you. I was told there is a way to get down to the river from the Bill Burke Park on Crawford. I have not checked it out yet, but plan to drive over there and have a look around. Someone told me there are good sized catfish there.