River Fisherman in here!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by biglope, Jul 7, 2009.

1. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok I am looking to go out to the Kansas River to do some flathead fishing. Now I have never fished for flats in the river before and have a couple Questions.

First is the time of the bite the same? Should I still concentrate my efforts between the hours of 8pm and 2pm?

Is there a paticular part of water that I should be looking for? Please keep in mind that I do not know this river at all and I am going to go and look for a spot tomorrow?

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Look for cover such as a big nasty log jam.

3. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas

Creek channels as close to the river as possible? Maybe a little more insight would be great thanks for the response.

4. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Do you fish in front of the log jam or behind it? I am really sorry if this is a really newbie question.

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As close to it as possible! :wink:

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In it, with out getting snagged up!

7. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Your going to need some stout gear. A rod with some backbone and line of at least 30lbs. Next get some fresh bait. Some guys like live some guys like fresh cut. I prefer fresh cut blugill. Next find log jam and get as close as possible or in it.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Find an area that has some nice tree snags,or if there,s any dams in the area I,d try and find some cover below them and fish that too(some nice boulder piles or eddies).I fish rivers 95% of the time and my best hours are from 1 hour before dark til about 10 pm.I think river flatties tend to travel farther at night,try and be set up early enough that you don,t miss em going up or downstream on their nightly stroll.I agree with the advice you,ve already heard about gearing up for them.You gotta move em quick before they get a chance to run into a snag.Good luck!:wink:

9. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    What town do you fish closest too? The Kansas changes a lot the further toward the Missouri you go

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When River fishing I look for deep holes, and fish in the daytime..I catch 90 percent of my flatheads from 2pm till 7pm.

11. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    just like everyone else is saying u need to find the eddys and current breaks out of the main current, large rocks and log jams that are best bet, i have a flathead spot where i fish, and to the right of the eddy it has a lot of boulders and we kill em on that spot, but in the same eddy just twenty to 30 yds up from it the bottom is slick and its like a dead zone so the key is findind eddys with lots of structure preferabally large rocks, we had 2 do a little redneck scuba diving but we found out why that one area was so much better than the other, and its the same dept. 12 to 15 ft. deep so the key is structure. good luck on ur trip man!!!

12. JLB

JLB New Member

State:
    TX
    Fishing the downstream , or lee side of structure can be helpful in preventing the fish from running you into the sticks. They seem to congregate on that side as well. As mentioned before make sure you have gear that can handle the abuse.
    Good luck!

13. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use 100lb pro line and an extra heavy poles with penn reels, I am not new to fishing just new to river fishing. I normally fish below spillwells and on the lake. And since this is my first real year for targeting flatheads in general I am kind of wet behind the ears.

I think that I am going to fish around the desoto area and maybe the bonner springs area. Not sure yet, both are still quite a drive from where I live so I would like to gather as much info as possible.

I always use fresh bluegill/green sunfish all are around 6 to 12 inches nothing smaller. I did a google map with a satellite view and see where the rivers goes into bull creek. I am going to drive out there tonight and see if there is a spot for me to fish out there.

Anyone from Kansas that is close to this area that might want to help me out that would be appreciated also.

14. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fish below Bowersock dam in Lawrence, its your best bet from the bank. If you have a boat, put in at Eudora and you will see plenty of logjams. The gar and softshells turtles are pretty nasty right now so use big livebait.

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    A good idea is look for a structure of logs, sharp drop off points in water levels an also look for any creek channels feeding into the river. All these area's can be essential in a good or bad night possibly.

16. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    A 12" perch, now thats a slab. Lol

17. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the info... I dont think that I want to drive all the way to lawerence, but we will see. I will look into the eudora boat ramp though.

My first big one that I had On (that I am not sure how big it was) was on an 11" bluegill. It was big I wish I would have been able to get her in.

Big Bait, catch big fish, and keeps the small ones away. I am going for quality I guess, not quantity.

18. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I haven't been on the river below Topeka, can't help you much down there. I have heard a lot of good things about the dam in Lawrence though. Maybe I will get the boat down there yet this summer and see what is there.

19. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas

Where in Eudora would I put in at?

20. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    So here is the only place that I could find that I could find that would give me access to the river with out falling in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]