river duck hunters

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by joer, Oct 14, 2009.

1. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    anyone planning on duck hunting the missouri around columbia?

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Looks Like good numbers this year, Won't be by Columbia. But will be out here, Blinds are already built. Just a little touch up when season gets closer.

3. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    If the river gets low enough and it gets cold enough I will be on it between Waverly and Miami, But I will be spending most of my time in the fields beside it!!!:big_smile_2:

4. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I hear ya! Last year had my best season in the fields and when Grand Pass and Eagle Bluffs froze I had my best season on the river. I'll be doing a little hunting near Miami this year maybe we'll se ya Rob!

5. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I thought that looked like the Old Cold Mo. in the back ground of your avatar. LOL Good Luck to ya this season. Keep in touch, and maybe we can put together a hunt together this winter!!!
    Rob

6. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Will do Rob!

Any one else as crazy enough to freeze your (oo) off?

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I can't wait. I had a great year on the river last year. Espectially when Grand Pass froze. Had a good year drawing into The Pass too.

8. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Saw some folks towing a blind out on the cuivre today. But for the most part it looks like everyone is all set to go, blinds all had fresh foliage on them..

As a non waterfowl hunter might I'm curious as to the seasons and times which these blinds are likely to be occupied. As a fellow river sportsman I just want to know when to try and stay away from these areas.

9. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    That would be in the middle zone and duck season goes from 11/7 to 1/5/2010. Goose season runs til 1/31/2010.

Duck season in Missouri is 60 days and there's 3 zones; north, middle and south. The south zone runs til 1/31/2010.

Most of the Miss R hunting is done in the pools above each lock & dam.

MoHunt

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for answering that and welcome to the BOC Good first post.

11. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Dan I almost never see anyone fishing in our stretch of the river. One thing to look for are the 'robo decoys' so if you see the spinning wings or white flashes definately avoid that area. Good luck to ya this winter!

12. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    From the mouth of the Cuivre to bout' a mile up used to be know as "murderers row" and there was a duck blind every 100 yards; hunters would drop shot on each other...sometimes they'd shoot at each on purpose; some outright "wars" went on.

But that was in it's heyday probably 20-25 years ago.

Not much goes on there any more, but it's a place to build a blind without the MDC planting a stake and having a draw for the right to build a blind.

The private clubs plant lotsa corn and pull most of the ducks to them.

MoHunt

13. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info guys! Murdurs row eh? Sounds scarey. There were definantly a LOT of blinds in that area...not every 100 yards but still a lot. Good luck to all the wing shooters this season. Some day once the kids are a little older I'll probably try my hand at what looks like a really fun sport. Till then fishing is about all my current life permits time (and money) for.