River drop kill the fishing?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tbull, Jan 2, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I hear alot of guys talk about bad fishing on the drop, and you may very well be right. To be honest I have never paid much attention..I guess my question is if that is the case, what is reason? Not to sure if I buy into that completley...:confused2::0a36:

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Oh believe it my friend..LMAO.....I think the fish just feed up when the river is on the rise, so when its dropping they are already fed up..For instance, we all like to get on the river when its coming up, because the fishing is better..Cause they are feeding up..For some reason that rising river is like a dinner bell...But on a drop it is tough..I get alot of taps when the river is dropping, sort of like a cat playing with a dead mouse, but they dont really want it.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It certainly knocks them off here on the Great Pee Dee when it drops hard. When it is on a rise, it is constantly washing worms, bugs, etc, into the river, getting the bait fish stirring around, thus turning the cat bite on in many instances. Just the opposite when it drops. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, and any given condition could conceivably produce or not produce fish. Just my observation here in SC on the Great Pee Dee. These occurrences MAY vary significantly from place to place, or it may be the norm for most rivers.
    Bill in SC

4. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I think as long as you got current you can catch fish but it is better when the water has been low for a while and then you get a good rise.I will be hitting the drops in 30 to 50 foot of water tomorrow I think they will be laying in the wintering holes with the water droping and you will have to wait a little longer for the bites.Just my thoughs

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hmmmm, still not convinced but good points. the way I look at is this, when the river is on the rise, the current is picking up. This summer and fall for example, the water was like a lake, slack everywhere. And most of the time the bait fish were spread out, in fact everything was spread out, making it more difficult to locate the fish, they weren't as predictable. Now when there is current, we can take the basics of what we know about fishing and put it into play, looking for current breaks, or any kind of structure to break current. The fish dont seem to use the entire column of water as much, making them easier to pinpoint. Seems like when it is on the drop, the current slows down, which makes it a heck of alot easier to fish, but there is still some good current moving. I do think the bite changes on the drop, but it gets back into that frustrating stage where we were all summer...LMAO...Someone out there knows how to adjust accordingly, it just sure as heck isnt me....But hey, the Meldahl pool isnt on much of a drop!:smile2:

6. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    dude, there is no doubt, me and Randy never have ALWAYS caught more fish when the river rises. Im with ya though bro, Somebody out there can catch those bass turds wheather it is on the rise or the fall. We have caught some fish on the fall but we have never caught any of our bigger fish on the fall. Don't have the answer why, but it does hold some truth i guess. It would make sense what river king said though. Those fish MAY feed up because there gonna be using a lot of energy and they know that with the current coming up, who know when they may get there next meal. For all we know that river may flood and who knows where the food will be then. This is just my opinion though, me and travis have been conversating lately about why we suck at fishing. LOL Just when we think we have a pattern toss it out the window!!!:smile2: The one thing is, someone somewhere knows how to catch them on the rise and the fall. When someone finds that man or woman call me. Im gonna need them to take me out for a guided trip!!!

7. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Think I pretty much agree with jwfish on this. But really cant say I've proven it in real fishing situations(I normally elect not to fish it on the down). Good Q though Tbull!

8. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    This year was unique for me. I didn't catch as many fish as I have in the past but the fish I did catch were bigger that usual. I even caught my personal best this past spring. One thing I noticed is that I caught some nice fish on the fall including my personal best. I am not saying that fishing is better on the fall, personally I don't think that. But, I know the river is falling now and I will be out all day tomorrow on the Ohio trying my luck. As for why the rise is better for fishing...I don't know. One thing that I do know is that the Ohio river has been falling for a few days and will continue to fall for a few more. Catfish will not stop eating for a week waiting for the next rise in the river. Just my opinion.

9. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    thats why i like you tbull you are wanting to fish under the toughest conditions, thats what it takes to be good ...good luck ...great post

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Great responses guys, and by the way I dont "thank" most of the time because most times I try it says I am not authorized or some crap??? I know its a glitch, only happens on this computer???Anyway THANKS ALL!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ill be honest, I really don't like him. He's always askin questions that I can't answer and leaves me thinkin bout stuff all day:confused2:. Not to mention I gave him some mooneyes that I thought were old and no good and come to find out he's been outfishing me with the freakin bait it gave him. Ill be needing those back sometime by the way.:smile2:

12. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    If you wouldnt mind could you log onto the ohio site after you get done fishin 2morrow and give us an update. Sense were on the subject it would be nice to see if any fish are being caught on the fall. I know some will be caught somewhere, just would like to here about it.

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I dont like him that much either, I thought he was a fisherman, all he has been lately is Bob Vila....:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

14. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    No i pretty much just fetch tools!! Not only would the kitchen be done half ass but the wiring would definetley be a fire hazard. Im no handy man trust me. As a matter of fact after the new vinyl was put on the house this past year, my fiance ashley had to put the front portch light back on because I had no freakin clue how to wire it. Good thing she took shop in school huh. LOL Bob Villa. I want my mooneyes back to fool. :smile2:

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Sorry bud no can do, they are sitting pretty in my freezer! LOL, to be honest with ya, I have gotten a bite on them since, havent caught any fish since either...:sad2:

16. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    That reminds me....I think we need a board dedicated to specific major cattin rivers. Rivers that pass though multiple states. I know I've had numerous times I looked on In, Oh, Ky, Pa, WV and Ill boards looking to see if anyone had a current river report posted. It may be a 1000 mile river but most of the time it sees major changes, the whole river is affected. It be nice to have a board where someone could go just for that info....instead of searching 10 different states. I'm sure theirs other guys on other big rivers that feel the same.

17. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have never caught any numbers or good size fish on the drop... i fished the last 2 days pretty hard and in some very productive holes and never caught a fish in 2 days!!! as of today i WILL NOT fish a drop unless my life depends on it!! it aint 2 often i fish 2 days in a row without catching a fish!!! :cool2:

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The drop usually sucks, but if you can fish the main channel that drops into a deep hole you can catch a few.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i can only fish weekends, and i remember sevral years ago we were constantly getting rain early in the week, my river would rise till about thursday, then start to drop for my weekend of fishing.

it was the worst year i ever had and it took a couple months for the weather pattern to change, then i started catching fish again.

I actually prefer a a stable wter level about 3 days after the river has done droping, the fish seem hungry again

20. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Chris
    I like your idea about the rivers that run through different states. it is frusterating to wonder what the Ohio is doing and look through many threads trying to find a report. I have to drive a hour to get to the Ohio and I'm sure there is guys that have to drive farther than that to fish one of the Big rivers.