River drift rig.

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by catseeman, Jun 22, 2006.

1. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The river i have been fishing lately is high and fast with a lot of snags and riffles . I am going thru a lot of terminal tackle. I have come up with a rig for drifting a bait to a good looking spot (log jam, under tree etc.) in order of placement on line.
    1st bobber stopper
    next large slide bobber
    2nd bobberstopper
    next egg sinker (heavy enough to hold bait under bobber without sinking bobber).
    next bead (to protec knot)
    next barrel swievel
    next leader and hook (size acordingly)

the distance between bobber stoppers should be short.
    the distance between bobber and hook is depth to the top of the riffles or snags. What do you think about it?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    The old "Slip bobber rig" works great. I use it for places without snags also, works awesome for huge Blue Cats, haven't tried it for Channels quite yet.

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Zakk I was thinking about it today. I haven't tried it yet. I hope i explained it right. Last night the float kept slamming the weight. and the bait was on top of the river current. I just thought the additional stop below the float would let the bait sink.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    It works good, here's how I do it-

-Very Large Bobber slid on to the line
    -2 or 3 ounce egg sinker slid on after Bobber
    -Swivel tied on line
    -And of course tie your leader with the hook on to the swivel.

Then I usually just tie a special kind of knot in my line however deep I want my bait to run. Works great for me, in the summer if you're fishing a lake the fish will concentrate near the "thermocline" which is a certain depth of water that has more oxygen, and is usually cooler.

I like to go at night and put about 15 bobbers out at a time at different depths and drift in the boat, almost like jug fishing with rod and reel I guess?

I'll try to get a picture of my slip bobber set up so you can see how I do it.

Zakk

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Alright, here are a few pictures of my Bobber Rig. Best way to fish them is in an "eddy" or some kind of swirl, fishing them in straight current can work, but if the current's going to hard you will have trouble getting your bait down.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files: