River Depth Recon Tools Needed - Ideas?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cpalombo, May 25, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Hello fellows... I need to beef up my water recon capabilities. Do you all have a link or a phone number where I can purchase very in-depth detailed river depth maps. I am looking for something good enough for commercial navigation. I assume the Army Corps or some private buisiness creates these for the commercial shipping industry.

Know where I can get such a thing in paper form. Computer would be OK, but paper maps would work best for me.

Thanks in advance,

CP

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    CP-You should be able to find navigation charts from the Army Corps of Engineers. They should show wing dams, barge loading stations, etc. They're not going to show depths though, the bottom's always changing.

3. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I called today. No bottom depth, but other useful info.

CP

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I find the Corps navigation charts very helpful, even though the water depth isn't there. But they generally show dikes, tie-up pillings, etc. They also give mileage markers all up and down the river, show where the channel is, backwaters, and give me the ability to mark holes, hotspots, etc. right on the chart. Another useful map is a topographical map. It won't show the depth of the water either, but by looking at the contour lines, I can get a very good idea whether there's shallow water going out toward the channel, or if the back end of the boat is over 20'-30' of water when the front is up against the bank. All you have to know is that contour lines that are far apart mean flat land; the further apart, the flatter it is. Contour lines close together mean a steep hill; really close together mean bluffs.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Google earth is a good tool as well. Also if your fish finder supports it get a navionics chip. Nothing like having a chip that will kind of give you the where abouts of wing dams in a fog laden night where you can't see 2 feet in front of the boat. Instead of holing up and not fishing where you want to be you will still be able to navigate from spot to spot. Just don't trust it totaly unless you have already laid down a track. There is one bend where I find my self driving on the wrong side of the river on the bank. It just makes me laugh every time I go around that bend at how wrong the map is.