River Dam for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KSflatheadKING3511, Mar 27, 2007.

1. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i am going to be fishing an old dam in my local rivr (kansas river) and i was wondering where ahould i cast my bluegill in th heavy currnt or in the breakwaters? and should i be fishing on the bottom or with a bobber?

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    When you say old dam is it one that has been demolished or is it still in use only old ?

3. KSflatheadKING3511

State:
    Kansas
    they dont use it any moer but its dtill standing and when the waters up theres a pertty good flow. its not that big of a dam​

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You should try both areas anyway. The seam between the fast water and the eddy always holds bait cause they are smaller and they can hang in there with little effort. I have also caught some of my larger flats out in the whitewater at the base of the dam. The water shoots out a couple feet over the top and if you can get behind that the big ones are laying right up aginst the face in almost no current.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if you're questioning what spots to hit, it might pay off to put a few rods out in each location, then swith all rods to the spots to produce. don't rule out water that is unproductive now though. the cats might switch to it later in the year. also, don't forget those bait clickers- there's nothing worse than seeing your rod waterskiing across the water!
    good thing about flatties is they will hit cutbait this time of year along with the live ones. i have caught some pretty nice flatheads on perch heads in the springtime.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would try all spots, most of my flatheads have come in current breaks closest to the deepest hole below the dam.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Look for trees, currents breaks, and deepholes.

8. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio

hes got it pretty much covered.thats the same areas i would fish especially right up against the face behind the white water in the slack area.

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Alot of my fishing is below dams.

I have caught fish in the boils, in the deepest hole, and in the shallows.

It just depends where the fish are.

Trail and error my friend, trial and error.

10. cashcat

cashcat New Member

State:
    nebraska
    with the warmer weather and rain we re getten theyre out and about all over . we went from cold as could be to late spring . I fished a saller river on old danm [big blue] here in nebraska last sunday and got bites all over useing cut and live bluegills & worms big and small lots of fun lost some real bigens lotts of cover for em to hang up on .

11. KSflatheadKING3511

State:
    Kansas
    hey cashcat what type of fish were they?

Ryan

12. cashcat

cashcat New Member

State:
    nebraska
    flat and chanle , heard theres blues but aint seen um yet