River Crappie

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by cat-chaser, Nov 11, 2006.

1. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just recently started fishing for crappies in the Trinity River below Lake Livingston in Texas. I've always heard there was a good population of em here but I just recently started back fishing here. I've had some success in the last week or so, no big numbers but some good sized fish, on jigs fished from the bank (no boat). Right now,the water is up & moving because the dam gates are open, so the fish should be active. Plus, a cold front just came thru. I've always gotten good tips from you guys & I could use your help now.

2. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't fish rivers for crappie but sounds like you're doing good using the jigs...wish I could get into some nice size here...just look for trees and other structure...try some small spinners or slowly reel some small crankbaits too

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I like river fishing for crappie much more than lake fishing. They don't seem to mind bad conditions nearly as much. Is the water you are fishing clear? if so u might need to fish a little deeper, crappie are real sensitive to light. But the main thing I would say is find slackwater. They don't like the current if they can help it and if u can find some water that isn't moving as fast-that would be my best, especially if there is some structure there. try inside bends and such-that's my two cents, but 2 cents doesn't go very far these days :lol:

4. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the tips guys. The water I fish runs sandy to sandy clear, depending on how many gates are open at the dam & how long the gates have been open. 7 of the 12 gates were opened last week so the water is pretty settled right now.The moving water is a bit clearer than areas outside the flow but its a bit farther out. Where I mainly fish is a dropoff near an old concrete boat ramp-outside of the main flow. The fish stack up in there sometimes.I also catch a whole lot of drum when fishing for crappies, but I don't cae for them much-pretty good fight on light tackle,though.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Paul, I haven't actually targeted river crappies when fishing for bait but have caught a few. (they make a great flathead bait) But while fishing Flatheads under the dam I've seen these same two guys over the last 6 years put their little coleman bass buggy in at the ramp and head across the river to a big eddy and toss out white roadrunner type jigs and haul in 20 or 30 crappie every time they went over there. These weren't small fish either they all look to be in the 9 to 13 inch range from my spot 200 yrds away.

6. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    Since I first started this thread, I have had a lot of success catching some really big crappie from this same location. I'm waiting for the weather to cool off a bit & I'll be at them again.