River conditions after this week's rain?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by justbfishin, Nov 10, 2009.

1. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
    Hey guys,

I was planning on fishing the cape fear this Saturday. How crazy is the river going to be after this tropical storm passes over and drops several inches of rain? Would this generally be a good or bad time for fish to bite?

Thanks

2. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brandon I would agree with Matt . But the best way to find out for sure is to go and give em some sore lips .:eek:oooh::smile2::wink::big_smile: Where you goin below lock #3 or above ? Good luck and let us know how you do ...:0a23:

3. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
    More than likely above locke#3. I'm still learning the river but this time I'm thinking about going past rockfish creek and seeing what's out past there.

4. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
    I've been checking the water level around Fayetteville per the USGS website and the river is up about 9ft higher then normal so far.

Any tips or strategies for fishing when the river is really high or flooded? Like, would you still be looking to fish near deep holes or try to fish around a flooded area that is not usually under water?

5. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i fish the ohio a lot last couple days its been raging and i can't figure out why its not rained that much:sad2:

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    When the river is raging like that the best places to fish are those out of that HEAVY current. At least that's been my experience. Fish the inside bends and pockets of slower moving water. Or just get right up on the bank if you're gonna fish outside bends.

7. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Wes, do you think the river being way up makes for good fishing? I know that a little rain is great for the bite, but it has been raining like crazy...thanks adam

8. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    well me and catfishwillie are going to find out tonight on the neuse, how well this rain has helped. Will report tomorrow.

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I think they will probably bite just as good. Especially after the water has kinda peaked out for a day or so. They still have to eat and there is a lot of food in the water at flood levels. Just have to find where they're at and stay safe doing it. You can catch 'em any time of the year, any water conditions, any moon. Figuring out how to do it can still be harder than hell though. Guess what I'm saying is yeah go fishin'!!:wink:

10. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    we were out there for 5 hours or so and only caught 1 little guy. probably 5 lbs or so........ the current was CRAZY we couldnt position the boat any way we wanted to. made it difficult. and there was SO much trash (leaves and pine straw mostely) that kept getting caught up on our lines. I had to put 8 oz. of weight on some of my rods. last night sucked pretty bad but it was a learning experience.

11. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    i dont know about catchin them any time of the year. you can catch blues and channels all year but flatheads literally hibernate in cold water, they can go days and weeks without even moving. divers in the mississippi found flatheads with dirt piled up on top of them they had been sitting so long.

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've caught them every month out of the year in the river. They may not be very big or plentiful but they're still out there. Buddy of mine caught a 30lber in mid January last year. They aren't the most cooperative but if you can get it in front of him he'll get it no colder than it gets around here.

13. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
    Well, we didn't get any in the boat but I did get my first bite, I just didn't get him hooked. I had a live eel on and he started taking out line and heading toward the middle of the river. I let him carry it for a bit before I started reeling, then I started to reel him in. He felt pretty big but after reeling him in for about 10 seconds, I felt a hard tug and then he just let it go. I was using a circle hook so I heard you don't have to set the hook, I guess I just needed to let him take it longer. It was fun though. I threw it right back in the same spot but no more bites.

The river was really high, average of 27ft where it's usually 9ft. We anchored down right at the mouth of rockfish creek out of the main current and casted out along the edge of the creek before the dropoff into the main current.

There were tons of trees and logs in the river that we had to dodge but the place where we anchored up was in a good secure spot.

Did I do something wrong with setting the hook using a circle hook? How long do you let a fish take out the line before you start reeling him in?

14. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    chances were it probably was a gar...or small cat...big ones usually inhale it...

gar usually pull down hard and let go...

but let me ask you why are you letting the fish run with a circle...

If you are using a circle hook DONT let the fish run...let your rod load up...pick it up and then start reeling...just make sure your drag is right...

15. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    i doubt it was your fault the fish may not have swallowed the hole eel or the hook could have rolled around the eel hard to say but you won,t get them all at least you have found a place to try again he willl be back for more

16. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    I miss fish too sometimes fishing with whole eel. there's a lot for the fish to take in.

17. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    One thing that realy helped me with circle hooks is to let the fish load the rod up and then crank the handle 3-4 times then pick the rod up and fight the fish . Remember to keep steady presure on that fish , you dont want him to take you were he's wanting to go , or you pry wont see him .:eek:oooh::sad2: Good
    luck out there , go back and get em . :smile2::wink::big_smile:

18. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
    What do you guys mean by load the rod up? After I cast my line out, I've been setting the drag really light so that if a fish pulls on the line it lets the line out really easily. Is this correct or should the line be tight so that the rod just bends if a fish pulls on it?

19. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    tight enough that when the fish takes the bait the rod "loads up" (bends down) and that resistance is enough to get the circle hook to penetrate the corner of the mouth...

what I do is after I cast out and put the rod in the holder...I yank on the line and set my drag...I like the drag to be set at where I can pull the rod all the way down (in the rod holder) before the drag begins to work..

your best bet is to look up circle hooks on the web, there are a lot of good articles out there...all the articles out there will tell you to let the rod load up..

in short what happens is the fish takes the bait, swallows the hook, yes swallows the hook. As the fish swims away, the hook wll be pulled up through the gullet and hook into the corner of the mouth...

my hook up ratio is about 99% using circle hooks...