River Channel Catfish Question

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tcba1987, May 2, 2006.

1. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    I have had some of the worst catfishing , that ive ever experienced for the past 2 1/2 weeks on the TUSC RIVER. I mean I have tried every bait imaginable and fished dozens of areas and ive been LUCKY IF i get a bite. :crazy: I have NEVER seen anything like it. I mean i sit out for hours and dont even get a bite. I thought maybe it was just me but everyone i talk to is having the same luck. Could the Channel Cats be getting ready to spawn or already spawning ?? What water temp do they spawn at ?? I fished in my clubs catfish tournament last saturday night, we had 22 anglers and ONLY 6 SMALL channels turned in. Everyone said the same thing i did............................. NO BITES !!! The cats turned in were all in the 14-16 inch range but FAT as heck !! either full of eggs or eating real well !! :confused2: I am so confused, I usually catch a cat or two every time out but i cant even get bit right now, HELP ??? Where should i try ?? What baits should i try ??? Ive tried cut shad, live gills, live and dead creek chubs, chicken and beef livers and night crawler and NOTHING is working ?? :sad2:

2. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    How is the water level? I seem to have trouble when the water level is down.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im having the same problem over here. funny because all the bass fishermen are catching them on lures, and the ones that are caught are really chubby. i wonder if they have been really super active lately and are feeding near the surface more? ive been bottom fishing lately, so next time out if i have the same issues im going to try suspending my baits really shallow.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same thing is going on for me here in southern ohio. I dont think they are spawning yet.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Ohio must be having bad luck right now, I have been out a few times and only got fish one time. No bites even sometimes.

Hopefully they will turn on soon.

6. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I been having the same luck, I don't think they spawn until the temps are well into the 70's and I was on the Ohio River last Saturday 4/29 and the water temp was 64.2*F so they shouldn't be spawning yet. :confused2:

7. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I'm sort of having the same luck. A few of the places I go, I can't catch anything. But 3 nights ago, a buddy and I went out for a quick trip down the road. We caught 3; 2.5lbs, 3.5lbs, 4lbs, all channels. Really fat. The action only lasted 15 minutes.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    are you fishing the same areas as you were when the water was high? if so that might be the problem. try spots with lots of current, like bottlenecks and tail-outs of holes near deep water. when the rivers get as low as they are now channels will look for the most availabe current. lately tail-outs have been the only places where i can locate decent sized channels (2-6lb), the smaller bait stealers are near the head and core of the holes. im still in a slump also but i have been averaging about 5-7 channels a trip (except for last 2 trips this weekend). if your bank fishing it is no doubt tougher to locate them, im moving around in a boat thankfully.

9. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I haven't been out in about a week. Sounds like I haven't missed much. My last trip I landed four between 2 and 5 pounds. They were downstream from a ten foot hole in about 3 feet of water right before a rock dam.

In the last three weeks, I have been doing much better after sunset til around 10:30 or 11. They may even be biting later, but I haven't tryed past 11 yet this year.

10. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Patience, patience, patience. Its tough all over this spring. I been watching alot of the big tourny weigh ins & they are way down. Dont know why. Just keep going and praying like I am!

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The water temp on the muskingum is only 58 degrees near coshocton, so I would guess the tusc is about the same. They wont start spawning till it hits 70. That wont be till closer to the end of the month or into june. Check some rocky areas on either side of a hole, the crayfish should be moving around quite good now and the cats might be gorging on them. Don't be afraid to try shallower water 1 to 3 feet. If you're fishing the lower portion try moving upstream a few miles. The cats are moving around looking for food and heading toward wherever they will spawn in a month.

12. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I should of said that was surface temp, sorry. :embarassed:

13. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Might want to try some crawdads, sometimes they work great on creeks when nothing else will.

14. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just a thought might tryshallower water (warms quicker) and look for areas with alot of timber in the shallows...Hope this helps...

15. bud_rabon

bud_rabon New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I hate to hear about yalls bad luck. You might want to come down here to alabama You can't make them stop bitting. We ran out of bait today so I took the foil out of a cigarette pack and we kept catching

16. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    They may be heading to creeks for warmer water in prep of spawning. I havent had luck in big river but have a few from a feeder creek about a mile from main river. tou maight try checking stomach contents . one year we had a big rain ,right after harvesting fields, the cats were full of grain. They didn't bite very good on regular baits . tried canned sweetcorn like for carp caught channles the rest of the weekend at night . good luck .it will get better. it has to .lol:big_smile:

17. bigcatch1

bigcatch1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    shallow water has bein doin me and a buddie alil justice on bluegill heads we caught 5 (two were 3lb, 4lb, 4.5lb, 5lb) thats bein workin for us