river cats in the river

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by chicagoriverking, Oct 26, 2005.

1. chicagoriverking

chicagoriverking New Member

State:
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    river cats in the river

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im from chicago and there are some big cats in the river ive had privelege to hook onto them in the summer but i knoow they dont disappear in to thin air where i fish is a water fall then bout a half mile down stream there is a waterplant across the river and where i fish is calm water with these 4 pipes going from the water underground to behind where i fish its where they collect water and balance the depth of the river but where i fish its about 7' deep and right to the right is a bridge how and where might be a good place to fish for the winter channel cats in the river (its the north branch of the chicago river off the lawrence st bridge) can anybody help me

2. wisfisher

wisfisher New Member

State:
    Plainfield, WI
    Your best bet would to be to try and find some deep-er holes where there is some current. Channel cats will winter in these holes, barely moving for long stretches of time. They basically lay on the bottom, behind a rock if possible , or a lower depression in the hole to shield themselves from the current and wait till food hits them in the face. They will rarely move out of their spot to feed. Another spot may be around the tubes you mentioned. It is possible that the water coming out of the tubes is a few degrees warmer and will attract the cats as well as food.

3. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    Might check around the bridge pilings for deeper holes and structure

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I to would say look for deeper holes channels around here seem to stack up in holes of 10 plus feet as the water gets around the mid 40's. But on sunny days i do catch some of the flat.