River Catfishing Boats n Fish Finders

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by newestcathunter, Feb 16, 2009.

1. newestcathunter

newestcathunter New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hi everyone! Started catfishing last year, since then I have been hooked. I have a lot to learn and have seriously read every post on this site since becoming a member a month ago.

After lots of frustration finding a decent fishing spot that I can stay at all night without being kicked out I've decided to get a boat and a decent fish finder this year. I live in Omaha and will be using it on the MO.

Any advise on styles or size of boat would be great. I know there is a "boat" post on here but I would rather talk to people that have been on the MO and know a little more about our waters.

So what do you say? what size boat? how big of a motor is big enough for the MO. What style of boat? Hoping to get a boat and the needed equipment for 5k or less.

Thanks in advance for any advice and for all the great info all of you have posted on here.

2. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    16ft or bigger... i like the v bottom myself... would like a jon boat but i thought about it and got an we'll just say an ok deal on a lund.. the good thing about a v is the ride is alot better than a jon if you get caught in some wind or wake.. the jon boat you can go in the shallower stuff.. they all got pros' and con's

3. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Welcome to the BOC Rick glad to see an other Ne. cat man. I dont fish the river at all,but would like to try this year. I have a 17' Lund adventure series 1700 with a 115 Merc. I know I shouldnt have any problems in the river. If I was looking for a new boat ( or different one ) I would stay with the deep v better ride in rough water,safer in rough water and mine will still float in 3 foot of water with the big motor up. Hope this helps :smile2:
    But I do have a 16' jon also just in case !!! :smile2::smile2:

4. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Each type of boat has it's advantages. I like a big flat bottom and like a deep V. A flat bottom is going to get you places that the deep v won't, however the deep v might get you back to the ramp, or shelter, if a storm blows up. I've owned both and for comfort and ride I like a deep V. Ideally, everyone needs two boats.... :eek:oooh:

I would go with what you can afford and think you will feel comfortable with. There are many good buys out there and you can save money buying used. Three good resources for buying a boat are the BOC member sales, Boat trader, and craigslist. Avoid no title or someone that claims to be able to get the title. It will save you lots of trouble and frustration.

Welcome to the BOC.

5. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    welcome 2 the boc Rick I would suggest if you could find a couple river rats that could take you out. this might help you make your mind on the flat bottom or the deep v. just a suggestion! Larry.

6. newestcathunter

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the info so far. Going out with a couple river rats is a great idea. If anyone is willing to let me tag along when they get out onto the water please let me know.

Having never fished from a boat on the MO. are there a lot of shallow waters that I wouldn't be able to get into with the deep V? I have no idea how deep the MO. even is for that matter. I am leaning more to the deep V, seems like a safer way to go, but would hate to miss out of some great fishing spots because of it.

Also, I have read post like "the jetties are under water so be carefull". Two questions, what is a jettie and where are they? Are there a lot of obsticles in the MO that I should be concerned with?

The better half would like me to get a fish/ski boat. For example I've seen a lot of bow riders on craigslist over the past month that seem to be at a resonable price. Would these be too big to get into some of the really good fishing spots?

Thanks again for all the great advise!

7. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    i think some people like to say jetties.... most river guys say wingdike or trail dike... it is a pile of rock that keep the channel clean so it don't silt in.... sandbar on the top side hole on the down side... they are on the oppisite side of the shipping channel:wink:

8. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

well whatever you decide to go with be carefull on the big muddy...I would take your new boat out a few times and get the hang of things before the river trip

9. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    :0a27:eek:r maybe get out with someone that knows the the river and have them show ya

10. newestcathunter

State:
    Nebraska
    I am convinced that going out with others would be a great idea. I don't even know where the shipping channels are, probably over my head.

If there are any volunteers that will be going out on the MO in/around the Omaha area I would love to go, I'll buy the gas for the boat or whatever.

Headed to google earth to check out the MO river from the air :)

11. newestcathunter

State:
    Nebraska
    I think I have finally reached ten postings so now I can respond to my private messages lol.

Anyone have any feedback on a good fish finder? Any preferences between humingbird and lowarnce?

I was thinking 700 series hummingbird but could be easily persuaded at this point. Any thoughts?

12. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    i never been around lowrance always had huminbirds in the boats i fished out of.. i would like to gget a new one for my boat was thinking about the 565 huminbird.... don't need nothing fancy for the river just something that shows depth.. i think bass pro had a sale on them for $ 199

13. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have/ had it quit last year a humminbird wide 100 it worked good to the end. Nothing fancy tho. :smile2:

14. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I like the idea's of a deep vee.