River Catfish were biting yesterday in Illinois

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fished the Raccoon river yesterday underneath the Boonville bridge. (South of Waukee, IA) From about 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm I caught 7 channel cats using cut gizzard shad that I had frozen from this summer. 4 of the fish were about 10 to 12 inches, the other 3 were a litttle bigger 1 was
    1 1/2 lbs, 1 was 2 1/2 lbs and 1 was just under 5 lbs. Not to bad for this time of year.

2. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Has anyone else tried the Des Moines river yet for cats? I haven't dug the boat out yet so I haven't been on it yet. I did have a little luck yesterday on the Raccoon river fishing from shore.

3. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Raccoon River Produced again. I went back to the Raccoon river the next day, saturday, it was a little cooler out but it still produced some fish. I went there from about 11:00 am to 1:00 pm with a buddy and we caught 11 fish using cut shad again. The action wasn't very fast but it was pretty consistent. The fish didn't run quite as big as they did on Friday but it was still a good time. I'm just happy to be catching catfish in January without ice. Anyone else trying any of the rivers around Des Moines yet?

4. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    If heard people have caught flatheads at the Saylorville Spillway in February and March vertical jigging right off the concrete walls...I've never tried it....has anyone else tried that or heard of that.

5. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i am so jealous of ya catchin some cats in january.. i havent even thought of goin out yet. my catfishin history is hot n heavy from march to oct.,,, what type of stuff ya fishin this early time of year on that river? mud flats? holes? fill me in please, maybe i can adapt it to the mississippi around here.. gotta get my duck blind off my boat now asap.. it hurts to find out others are and have been hittin some cats. way to go.

6. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Oldstylelight...yeah I was very pleased to catch cats in January, especially in Iowa. But the conditions a month ago were far better than they are now. I was out when the temperature was on a pretty good warm streak and all of the ice was off of the water. I think the main reason why I had pretty good luck in those two days was because of the location. I was fishing a pretty small river, one that you can usually just walk across during normal water levels. But where I was fishing was a pretty good spot. It has two bridges withing in 30 yards of each other and both bridges have bridge pilings or supports in the water and it is right on the edge of a big outside bend of the river....so there is a pretty big hole there. The main hole, from as far as I could tell was about 40 feet long and probably about 20 feet across, which may not sound like much but if you saw the size of the river it is by far the biggest and badest hole for a few miles that I know of. Upstream and downstream from the hole there is no depth at all..for miles. So anyfish that were in the area during fall and winter more than likely hungout here during the cold winter. I think it was just a matter of getting some fresh bait down there while the conditions were right and thats exactly what I did. The bad thing is that this hole is very accesible and gets tons of fishing pressure during the summer, but thats okay cuz once I get the boat out all of my time will be spent cruising for flats on the Des Moines river. Catching a few cats in January just makes cabin fever ten times worse!

7. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    pylo., thankx for the reply.. sounds like you know what yous talkin about. you oughta live a little closer to the mississippi.. would be fun to go out and hit em here... i target channels 95% of time, flatheads every now and then , but i could sure learn somethin bout them flats....

8. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Oldstyle,

I wish I was closer to the ol' miss, I have only been on that river once along, long, long time ago with my dad when he went on a walleye trip with a buddy. It would be a definite change of pace compared to the size of river that I fish. Is there a certain pool or area you usually fish?

9. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    yeah pylo, i live in leclaire which is on the mississippi and fish mostly pools 14 (lecaire to clinton) and 15 which is davenport down muscatine.. we have the wapsi real close to us here where it goes into the mississippi.. usually each year i make a trip or two on it, but each time i say this is ridiculous, i could be catchin em good out on the miss... Although some folks of course do quite well on the wapsi.. i dont like navigating on it and pulling the boat over sand flats, but maybe different this summer, cause i plan on having a mud motor for another flatbottom.

gettin real sick of waiting now.

c'mon over for a day on the miss sometime when it gets good. taker easy.

10. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Oldstyle,
    What type and size of boat do you fish the miss with? Is it the same boat you take to the smaller river? Just curious.....I didn't know if the boat I had would be able to handle the Miss or not. It is a 16 ft Lowe, has a 4ft floor width and 21" sidewalls with only a 15hp Mercury. Is this too small?

11. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Ply, seems like you've been having some good cold water cat catch'n going on. Congrats. I'm thinking about trying to fish a couple of wintering holes here on the Cedar River. The weather should start to turn soon. Good luck!

12. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    pylo, i got 2 boats. a 16 ft xpress with a 25 that i do 95% of fishing out of that. also got a 17ft tracker with a 70. your 16 is plenty.. just careful below the rollers if ya go there. watch the wind or busy days with tons of big boats running (better to not be fishin then anyways if you can be choosy).... that is why i do a lot of early morning fishing all throughout the summer.

i use my xpress very hard. it takes a lot of abuse. from march until early december... love that boat:)

13. dodge man 79

dodge man 79 New Member

State:
    Sabula Iowa
    I agree with oldstyle your boat should do well in the river. My father in law runs a 12 footer with an 8 horse slow going up river but he gets to go where a lot of us can't.

14. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    For that time of year, that is a nice catch.

15. schatz15

schatz15 New Member

State:
    indianola iowa
    i was fishing at red rock at the dam. and there was 7 of us guys fishing yesterday and we got 7 catfish thay was from 1lb to 9lb

16. Hazmat

Hazmat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Haven't hit the rivers for 2 weekends, and probably won't this weekend either (turkey huntin, eh?) but prior to that, we'd done really well with guts on the Mississippi. 16 on 3/25 and 8 3/26...all between 1-3 lbs. Following Sunday, cleaned a dozen same size. Wish the river would stabilize...probably just as well I go hunting for now...:)

17. iowain 45-70

iowain 45-70 New Member

when to the des moines river in fort dodge fish by the bis dam got 9 catfish.they wwere from 1 to 3 lbs noting real big.best day so far.

18. iowain 45-70

iowain 45-70 New Member

last week end st the big dam in fort dodge got 9 only two where what i would call keepers.