River Catfish 5-31 & 6-01 & 6-02

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tcba1987, Jun 2, 2006.

1. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    5-31-06

Fished the Tusc River for Channel Cats near New Philly, tried out a couple of new spots. I was targeting BIG logjams for cats....... I fished from 915 am to noon, using cut shad for bait, I caught one 3 lb channel and had several other nice runs. I had one BIG fish break me off in a logjam, im guessing a big channel cat....heck it might have been a flattie who knows ???

6-01-06

Fished the Tusc River again this morning from 9 am to noon, for cats in the New Philly area, i had a decent day. caught one channel cat that weighed in at 1 lbs 5 oz on a piece of garlic salted chicken liver. i had several nice runs on cut shad and missed them all. im using a 3/0 mustad demon circle hook with a maybe 2 inch chunk of shad and ive been missing a TON of fish .............any ideas why im missing soooooo many fish ?? im leaving the pole in the rod holder till the fish appears to be on ( really loading up the rod ) and im still missing ALOT of fish.

6-02-06

Fished the Tusc River this morning for about 20 minutes before the pouring rain hit and hit HARD !! i had 3 runs and landed one 6 lbs 2 oz channel on cut shad and got SOAKED !! :angry: Heck it was worth it , i guess !!! :big_smile:

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Get some J hooks and lay into them when they hit. I catch 1 or 2lb channels on 8/o gamma octopus hooks so a 3/o J hook should nail them.

3. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I would go with at least a 6.0 or even an 8.0 circle.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hey Brian, have you fished the spillway below Dover Dam? We rode by there on the motorcycle last week and it looked... well... fishy! :lol:

5. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    sometimes i will take a pair of pliers and bend the hook just a little to offset the point from the shank maybe that will help

6. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    Thanks Doughboy !!!

Ive fished Dover Dam and caught some nice Channels, i know of a guy who catches some nice flatties up there too. i personally go through WAY TOO MUCH tackle on snags so i dont fish it often.:angry:

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

Where is the closest ramp? I would love to boat and bobber fish that stretch.

8. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    There is a boat ramp at the Dover Ski Club located just north of the Wooster Ave bridge in Dover. I THINK they charge a SMALL fee to lauch a boat from there if you arent a member of the ski club. The dam is about 2-3 Miles upstream from this ramp.