River carping

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Jerry60k, May 4, 2008.

1. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have enjoyed a little success this week fishing for carp on the river here.

I have caught more than I have in my photobucket but I am linking to it to show a few that the kids caught and 1 big carp I caught this morning.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/j60k/2008/

I downsized to a #6 snelled hook and started increasing my hookups about 90%.

So far the doughball is out working the corn and wheaties this year.

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Nice work Jerry made a batch of my doughbait but came it out to mushy wasnt staying on right...But congrats on your catches...

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    awesome jerry, i went on another bait run this morning, caught 22 carp from 1-6 pounds and threw back 5 or 6 that were about 10 inches long. i found a new hole where they seem to be starving or something, they all have sunk in bellies and the bait gets hit almost immedialtey every cast.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    That a nice looking Carp, Jerry.

5. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    River Carping 101 :
    1) go to supermarket
    2) buy canned corn sweet whole kernal
    3) throw 2 handfuls into river
    4) bait hook threaded entirely with corn
    5) cast bait into chum area
    6) wait 1 hour
    7) hang on

I have caught 5 lb catfish on corn while chumming a river for carp.

If after 1 hour if you get no bite there are no fish there nor are there any for a considerable stretch of that river so pack it up.

6. SwampFoxNC

SwampFoxNC New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I need to know how you rig for the carp in the river if you don't mind sharing that with me? I've done absolutely no fishing for Carp ever anything helps.

7. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The most effective simple bait that I know of it a grits pack. All it contains is, grits (Ground corn), cream corn (also corn), and flavor (whatever one you choose). Use corn on the hook, or a cereal puff. The link is in my sig if you want to see it. Hope it helps you. Besides that bread is a very basic effective bait in almost all situations. The only change I make river carping is 3oz or heavier sinkers, and try to fish low current, or the breaks in fast current.

8. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    nice fish man, i've never tried fishing for carp on the river, but i think i'm gonna try it this summer

9. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    awsome dude! i have been skunked the past 2 times i went river carpin.they just were not liking my grits or soymeal.lol.

10. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Thanks for the replys everyone.

I always fish for carp when I go catfishing just for the fun and to pass time.I see no sense in catching a bunch of 1-2 lb bass when I can catch 4-5 big buffalo or reg carp.

BTW I always just use a simple slip sinker rig with a splitshot between the sinker and hook and another splitshot about 4-5 inches behind the sinker if the bite is light.

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jerry congrats on your catch, thats a nice looking carp, glad to hear that you got one, I havent caught one yet this year but I have seen some monster size carp, keep up the good work and keep the reports coming.