River/canals memorial day weekend.

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by bluehunter, May 28, 2007.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Memorial weekend scouting more like it for this trip. Learned some good areas.

Went out as planned for the Memorial Day weekend. I did not get out on the main river like I planned but I made good of the trip because I planned this a year ago and already made the preparations and child care service available. I decided to go to the canals.

Arrived Friday Night around 930pm. I already contacted riverbud and asked him if he could get some bait for me to use. This came in handy. I went south from Blythe to the canal that I went to a few weeks ago. I layed out my bait with Tilapia and 5 minutes later I get bit. Its a small flat. Later on I get a 5 pounder and also another small one. I had runs all through the night at various times. I was 3 for 6. One good run as well that came unbuttoned at hookset.

That Saturday morning I went after bait for the night. Got a few Gills and Tilapia again and then decided to relax and also go looking at some boats in town for sale. I plan on getting a boat real soon so if there is anybody selling a used one in good condition - Holla at me.

I went back out to the same spot Sat night only to get skunked, plus I slept most of the night so I did not change baits and recast like I should have done if i was more alert. But one egood thing did come for me that Sat night. I met a person who put me on game with some flathead spots in the area. He told me that the canals running in those zones produce better than the main river. I was like - Thanks for the info and directions. When the sun came up in the morning I decided to scout the spots he gave me. I came across some guys fishing and packing up from the overnighter at a spot. They had a 18 pound flat and a 20 pounder. They also verified to me that the canals is where it is at and produce more quality flats on a consistant basis compared to the main river. I was like wow with the info.

Later on that Sunday I scouted more areas and talked to various people about areas to fish. I got some good info, saw some good areas, and gained a wealth of info that I needed so I do not have to depend on people to go out in a boat. Plus I wanted to learn more about the areas there to fish anyways. So I spend the most part of the day scouting. That afternoon I went to get more bait only getting 3 gills and a bunch of Tilapia. I arrived at a spot around 2pm and decided to wait it out and grade some papers to pass time away and enjoy the peaceful surroundings away from the city for a change.

After night fall I got my first run, a 10 pound flat on tilapia. I had another run and miss around midnight, and at 4am I had the mother of all mothers shake lose after a fight. The head was wide like a pit bull. The biggest flat I hook so far. I was 1 for 3 Sunday night. Still enjoyed myself like I wanted to, and I came back refreshed exactly like I wanted to after 3 nights and two days away. A good Memorial Day weekend for me. I will defintely be back to those canals soon and also the main river for a change up from time to time this summer. Here are the pics to show for Friday night and Sun night, also a pic of the canal area I fished. Good fishing yall.

Attached Files:

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Some more pics here.

Attached Files: