River Camping/Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by rbaggerly, Aug 24, 2007.

1. rbaggerly

rbaggerly New Member

State:
    OKC Area, Oklahoma
    Hey Brothers, I'm looking for a place to do some camping/fishing along a river somewhere. I really just looking to get away for a few days and commune with the fish. I'm not going out until the week after labor day so hopefully the water will be down some. Thanks for any info.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think I'd look over towards Gore, on the Arkansas River. Best place for some decent fish that I know of... course there may be someplace on the Red. Think I;d check with the weatherman so I wouldn't wind up floating in Louisiana somewhere. LOL

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Do you have a boat, or are you a bankfisherman?

I'll ask a question of the membership here...are there still campgrounds on the Spring River, or did the state give up on them?

4. rbaggerly

rbaggerly New Member

State:
    OKC Area, Oklahoma
    Bank fisher. Just wanting to go out and fish a little and enjoy the quite

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I just checked, and the Arkansas is still running pretty big....you might try the Corps campground just above Webbers Falls (L&D16). It's a nice place, and you'll be able to either fish the river below the dam, or the pool above it.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    A couple of other options...

the Illinois River has some cats, and the MarVal Trout Camp is very nice. Also, the Blue River at Tishomingo has camping, and some channel cats. I haven't been over there in years, by I remember it being a very pretty place.

7. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    brewers bend noryh of lock 16 is the best . great camp grounds, if u have a boat has docks at camp sites . is well kept . has elect,water, fish cleaning stations. also has primitive sites , bob keeps it mowed has pearch traps ,he will share bait. u can cacth all the shad u want off of the docks. has great fishing off the bank. sets off the river on a huge lagoon . never floods . great axcess to boat ramp,only 1 mile above lock. so u can lock down ( about 12 min.) during the week not too crowded. it will take u back to when we had great camping arias, and peoplr realey cared about fishermen. oh yeah he fishes an has lines out all the time . will give u some pointers . as to good holes. only about 1 1/2 miles up river to back of greenleaf dam, somore great fishong ,nice flat heads at spillway ,. hope this helps