River Cabin ideas....

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by atvracer, Jul 30, 2009.

1. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    My ex-wife's grandfather has what used to be an immaculate cabin on the lower White River. I used to go down there quite a bit until we split up. The grandparents are not in the best of shape, and due to last year's flood doing quite a bit of damage they no longer want the cabin. Anyway the river got about 4 foot inside it last year and the linoleum(sp?)floors were covered in dirt. I tore all that out and replaced parts of the floor that had warped. Now I need to do some floor covering and wondered which would be best:
    1. Linoleum-costly and harder to lay but easier to clean.
    2. Astroturf type carpet- cheap and easy to lay. Harder to clean.
    3. used carpet that someone is going to trash-free and easy to put down. Hardest to clean.

The water pipes were also stolen(copper) along with the water heater so that all needs replaced.

This cabin used to be nice as a house, so I know it has potential. We have cleaned on it for two days and it still has that dirt smell from not being cleaned for awhile. The idea of my own place on the river is driving me crazy and I can't wait to finish it. There are lots of deep holes in this area and is where I have spent most of my life on the river.

The cabin is a freebie so the only cost I have is fixing it up. Hopefully the cabin picture will upload on here. There is also another cabin about 2-3 miles downriver for sale ($2500) if anyone is interested. I haven't seen this one in person but it was on Terre Haute craigslist a few weeks ago.

Attached Files:

2. justAwatcher

justAwatcher New Member

State:
    Central Indiana
    I say go with number two :)

3. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Who really needs carpet?

4. justAwatcher

justAwatcher New Member

State:
    Central Indiana
    I would really need carpet!

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Aint nothing wrong with a wooden floor!!

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I,d say #2 also.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    wood floor for sure.

8. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I agree with Tim, I would keep the wood floor!

9. duff

duff Guest

Another vote for wood floor. If you need something to cover it bring a rug with you when you visit.:cool2:

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    How often can you expect the water to get in there V how much $$$.

I watched a home repair show the other day where the owners went with an epoxy for a finish. Bit pricey but looked good, would be easy to clean, and darn near indestructible.

I have also seen stained concrete floors that were darn sharp but with the elevated cabin, weight would be a serious consideration.

Also, Go PVC on the pipes with a good low spot drain cock for the winter. Make sure all your pipes will drain. Copper will only be stolen again.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    VERY cool. I'd dang near spare one testicle for a place on the river to live!!

Bill in SC

12. shadgutter

shadgutter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nice cabin, if that cabin was mine i would put tile in it and be done with it. 2 get ride of the smell paint everything with kilz.

13. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. The family and I are going down there this weekend to camp and get some more work done. I hope to have it done by the end of August. This is also a very good area for deer hunting. Last weekend we saw 7-8 out in the fields, 2 were bucks.

14. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    SAme.

You can buy remnants of carpet and linoleum at some big box stores. If you aren't picky about color, I wouldn't call that expensive.

15. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Heck yea i'd be all over a deal like that ..Free is good lol .. my only concern would be if the place has mold grown in there ? That really need's to be looked into ...Good luck and i hope you get the place fixed up soon .

16. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    like it was said earlier use kilz primer paint on everything it kills mold and it will get rid of dirt smell or any smell you have as for the floor i used hardwood laminate and it is indestructable and easy to clean

17. duff

duff Guest

Don't use laminate in this place. I've never seen a laminate hold up to water. The stuff is great in a dry place but not where it could get wet!