River boats?

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by 257bob, May 17, 2007.

1. 257bob

257bob New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas
    I am just curious what all of you river fisherman are fishing out of. I am currently searching for a boat and I am trying to find a all around boat for catfish and bass, lakes and rivers. Just curious what you river guys use.

2. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I like a wide flat bottom tunnel hull. The tunnel hull will put a prop motor a little higher than normal protecting the prop more than a standard rig. Or a jet outboard works nicely as well. Although I would'nt recomend a jet for bass fishing as weeds will ruin your day in hurry. The perfect cat boat needs to be stable enough to fish 2 people safely, have at least one anchor capable of holding you in current, have a good system of rod holders ( cats will take your rods if there not in holders ) , and enough motor to get you where you need to go. Extra luxury accessories would include a bait cutting station ( Cooler top works fine and cleans up well ) , sonar, livewell, electric anchor winch, beer holders! Keep it simple. It's alot more fun that way.

Dan

3. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    Thanks Dan
    I have thought about trying the Grand River. I live about 30 Miles east of Lansing. I have a deep V boat which I know is not the best for that, but is there enough water depth if a person is careful? Thanks again, Mel

4. 257bob

257bob New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas
    Thanks Dan,
    I am not sure what a tunnel hull is. Sounds like a jon boat style. I have been looking at some of the tracker brand grizzly boats, but they are a mod V hull.

5. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I've looked at that Grizzly setup too. It would make a great river boat.

6. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    It all depends where you try to fish. Some areas of the Grand are more trecherous than others. Especially later in the Summer. I even hit unseen objects with my jet rig in the dog days of August. I don't want to tell you to go for it and then hear that you busted a prop. But you'll never know if you don't try.

Dan

7. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    Thanks Dan
    I have been talking to Whiskerwhacker and we will proably give it a try as soon as we can make it out. It will be a learning experience if nothing else. Whiskerwhacker is young and can use the experience.
    Mel

8. 257bob

257bob New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas
    Thanks for all the information guys. I found a 1990 17' Landau aluminum bass boat. I am hoping to go look at it tomorrow. The price is right if the boat is worthy. I can't wait to finally own a boat.

9. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I already have plenty of experience patching holes in hulls on the fly....:eek:oooh:

10. 257bob

257bob New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas
    Boat was a bust. Everything was ok except the outboard was a 70hp and the boat was rated up to 60hp. I just don't want any problems with DNR or with insurance and financing. I will just keep looking. Still on the bank for me.

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Josh-
    try mlive.com . It's a collection of classified ads from all over the state. Lots to look at. You can get a lot of boat for $3K to $6K right now. Any decent 14' to 18' mod V or jon will get you to a lot of fishing in Michigan!
    Good luck.

12. ShipwreckDiver

ShipwreckDiver New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Here's a word of great catfishing advice for those in the area of the Huron River between Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor....I've been to all of the bait shops in this area where I fish, and all three have told me I am the only one that comes in specifically looking to catch catfish (I use 5-6" sucker minnows). I catch at least 5-7 channels per night fishing from the bank, usually after 10pm. If you are in the area you need to fish the Huron River if you're into big channels. The largest average I catch routinely is around 8-10lbs, but I've caught many much bigger. In fact, I was pulled into the river last Saturday night by something but I have no idea what it was because I lost it (I hear rumors of musk. in the river). All I can tell you is that last year I lost 6-7 fish on 30lb. test with adequate drag set. It seems as if nobody sets out for cats here and I'm reaping the benefits. If you're near the EMU/Ann Arbor area let me know, I wouldn't mind sharing my little spot with a fellow catsman to waste away an evening or two.

13. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    you might wanna look at some of the G3 gator tough series. they got a web site. and they are resonably priced, sturdy, and set up well for someone who fishes bass and cats like me. i love my 18' center console. just a thought.

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    here is a great river boat and cost very little, plains out great and has loads of room :lol:

Attached Files:

15. 257bob

257bob New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas
    Thanks for the info on the mlive web site. There were a lot of prospects that I will be calling tomorrow. I am trying to work up to 10 posts so that I can view pics on this forum. So I haven't seen Tim's boat yet.

16. 257bob

257bob New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas
    I got to 10 posts for that!!! Tim that's a little more boat than I can handle and it definitely has too many bells and whistles.

17. Angler Management

Angler Management New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Least it doesn't have any holes in the hull... The coffee stain does knock down the value a bit though.

18. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    Tim

that is hilarious man! it reminds me of that movie "O brother where art thou?" good funny!