River Boat

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Welkmeister, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Welkmeister

Welkmeister New Member

State:
    Woodstock AL
    I posted this question in the boating section but haven't got a response so I'll ask the MO masters.......Being new to the Mississippi River fishin' scene how do you know if you have enough boat to be safe on the river with barge traffic and other hazards? I have an old Chrysler 17' tri-hull w/48" beam and a Merc 650 (65 hp). Boat is tight and motor runs good. Is this enough boat to be safe on the Ole Miss? I will be fishing around the Chester, Apple Creek, Cape Girardeau area.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I fish the delaware river. It to is a large river with tons of tug and ship traffic that put out some impressive wakes. My boat is a 1969 wellcraft fiberglass. 15 feet long and about a 5 foot beam with a decent amount of free board. Its powered by a 40 horse merc. My only advice would be common sense. Be aware of the traffic on the river and when movein don't take them wakes on straight ahead at full throttle. I feel confident and safe in my boat out there with the big boys. Again, common sense and awareness will take ya a long way.

3. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sure it will be. Just take it easy and be careful.

4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    i have a old 66' beach comber w/a 60hp motor it get me around just fine
    just respect the river at all times and you'll do fine also

good luck out there and be safe:big_smile:

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    oh yeah, you might want to get some phone numbers of people who fish that part of the river just in case something does happen
    this is a pretty nice bunch of guys im pretty sure if you get in a jam someone can get you some help.

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I have a Tracker ProV 17 with a 60hp Mercury motor. I get around on the Mississippi just fine, not gonna tell you that at times I haven't been a little scared but thats just me the boat handled it fine. Be careful around the barges especially the ones heading up river with a big load they will create a huge wake and shake things up for awhile. But, as long as you take it slow and be careful you'll be fine. I got my boat early this Spring and went out with a few of the Brothers here from the BOC and got a better feeling for the river before ever heading out there with my boat. I'm still not completely confident in my abilities out there and as always more cautious then I usually need to be, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Good luck out there and if you ever do have trouble on the river don't hesitate to call up Willie, he's an expert at floating down the river and calling for help...:big_smile:

7. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    nice shot mike ................:smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you exercise common sense, it's big enough; if you don't exercise common sense, you can't get a boat big enough.

9. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    well put jerry:wink:

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I just got rid of a 15 ft Crestliner Tri Hull with a 70 hp.. It handled the barges and big cabin cruisers better than most John Boats.. Mainly because of the extra foam.. But a boat is only as safe as the person using it.. Exercise caution and common sense and you'll be fine and have fun...

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I run a 15ft lowe with a 15hp Johnson Sea Horse I am not big fast or prety but shes as good as any, my other was a 14ft polarcraft and it is all good Big George said it all COMMON SENCE LIFE JACKET be safe so you can doer again

12. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Heck, I saw 4 mexicans in a 12' jon boat with what looked like a 9 horse engine right below Mel Price. :smile2: They had about 2 or 3" of freeboard and they survived... though I'm not quite sure how. :roll_eyes: I thought for sure we would be pulling them out of the water by the end of the day.

13. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Yeah I saw that too. I was amazed that anyone would get in that turbulance in that little boat. But like you said they made. I couldnt help but wonder what they would have done with a big mess of fish.

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I witnessed a similiar small john with 2 adults and 3 KIDS:crazy: below Winfield Dam one night. They fished well after dark and even turned off their clamp-on nav lights.

I thought they had left when I wasn't paying attention but then on came the lights and they made their way across the raging tailwaters and re-anchored. Then out go the lights again.

The worst part.......... not one kid had lifejackets on, even after the sun went down.

Let me tell you wasn't much freeboard left on that jon boat either.

People are scary sometimes.:crazy:

15. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I see 3 people in a 14 by 48 lake john on the river all the time.. 3 inches above water.. Scares the he!! outta me just thinking about it..

16. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I seen 5 big guys in a jon boat at Winfield Dam one night running trot lines. Couldn't believe them guys were out there right below the dam and were there all night long.

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wear your life jacket it floats-you dont..............I dont know about you all but I go out there to have fun and not cheat death everytime I do go................GOTTA USE YER HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There's just gotta be something to the old saying about God watching out for fools and drunkards. Back when I was trotlining a lot, I saw a couple of young guys putting out and running trotlines in a one-man blow-up swimming pool canoe. I tried to keep an eye on them, because I expected that any minute I was going to have to go rescue the one that was in the boat at the time. Somehow, they managed to avoid getting a hole poked in their boat by a hook or a catfish spine.

19. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I fish the missouri river when it is almost bank full in a 17ft boat with a 25hp motor ,no worries

20. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree with the rest of these guys. A little common sense goes a long way. I sank a boat in the Tenn river and beleive me it doesnt take long. I was in a rotten fiberglass boat and the river was rough. At the time I didnt know that it was rotten. Life jackets work but only if they are on you. My only advice in the miss woulkd be to be very careful with those anchor ropes.