River Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Mr. Foster, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey brothers and sisters, I have a question? I dont target Blue catfish on the river, but I have caught a few in the past. I dont know anything about them really. Jus curious if there is anything differnt I can try to target them differnt then a flathead. Thats what I was fishing for when I caught them. Im not much of a lake fisherman, seeing my boat isnt really big enough for the lakes that have blues. So I pretty much fish from the bank, ocasionaly from my crawdad. Should I jus keep on fishing like do and jus wait for another blue, or is there something I can try different? Thankyou.

2. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Well, you don't say what it is your doing for flatthead, but my best river fishing, daytime, for blues always comes from the current, or very near the current, in deeper zones. Area such as, scour hole off wing dikes, down from the point on parallel dikes, and down and around the dropoff from a sand bar. You can also try the outer bends if you know the bottom structure to be steep or undercut or have any other kind of ambush structure for the fish, although you're likely to catch as many flats in this area as well. Another fun and exciting thing to do from bank if you can "swing it", is to drift the bridge pillars. Sometimes it's hard to do without making a BIG MESS of your line, but when it works, they can be a lot of fun pulling from the middle of the river. Good luck, these are just things that have worked for me, hopefully they can help you out some also.

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Brian, im just fishing the bottom of a small dam with a green sunfish. Its nothing like the river up north your on. But it produces some nice flats and a few descent blues. Thanks brother.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    The blues on the Walnut are only seasonal. They move upstream from Kaw Lake to Spawn. May is usually the best time to get into them below dams. Some may hang around til fall, but not very many.
    Fresh shad works the best but any cut bait will work. I caught my biggest on a live greeny but cut usually outfishes live.
    Deep holes in the daytime, shallow flats and riffles at night.
    Get an Ok license and you can get into alot more blues.

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks Kyle. I might as well get a OK license, huh? Probably wait till next year, so I can find out more about what I need to do, and where to go.