River Bait VS Pond Bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by criggster, Jun 20, 2007.

1. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was wondering if any of you have noticed a preference when using bait caught from rivers versus ponds. I fish rivers and catch my bait from the rivers, although not always the one I'm catfishing on. It seems to me that whenever I try to use bluegills caught from the ponds they are less lively and die easily. Any thoughts or opinions?

2. nemad9

nemad9 New Member

State:
    wv
    ive noticed the same thing

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thats what I've found too. I spend the extra time to get bait from the river. Those pond baits don't know enough about the river and the big predators in it to be scared when you toss them out lol. So they just lie there all night not swimming at all.

4. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes...it is because you are using bait that is not use to the habitat you are putting them in! I have noticed bait from a creek, which has constent running water...they last longer, probably because that is a similar habitat as a flowing river! Pond bait are use to no moving water and when put them into a flowing river they can't survive! This is just the way I see it...and from past experience!

5. trey5569

trey5569 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    also depends on choice of baits hearty green gills and bullheads are very hard to kill no matter where there from

6. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I think as long as you have the bait rigged rite and with the rite hook size, i dont see you having any early deaths of the bait.Bullheads and baby carp are a good choice if you want a bait to last long.If they arent available, Warmouths are also a good choice.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    There is an endurance problem with pond caught baits. River and creek baits spend their whole lives struggling aginst the current, so they stay livelier on the hook. When fishing flatheads you need the bait to move and create vibrations in the water, calling in the flats. I just feel I get better results from stream baits.

8. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have noticed the same thing if you find out what it is them please tell me i really want to know

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    its because your transfering waters. the shock kills them. i always use the bait in the water it came out of.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i havent had any problems with pond gills. they stay alive just as long as "wild" gills. i dont often fish them in strong current though. as long as you take good care of them (temp-oxygen-amonia) they should do just fine. i have had baits make 4 trips to the river and back. i usually toss them after having no more places to hookum. lol i have a buddy that uses oxygen bottles hooked to his bait tank,now those are some spastic gills there!!!! i cant justify going to those lengths anymore. as long as my bait is alive and or smells alive it works for me.

11. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    All my Gills came from ponds...The one in my avatar was caught with a gill that was in the water for 1 1/2 hr.The most recent one i caught was in the water for 1 1/2hr,reeled him in,was still alive and kicking hard,threw him back in,and caught a Flattie within 1/2hr.I`ve had baits that i`ve used up to 2 nights before,re-use them and was still kickin` hard enough to pull drag on my clicker...All i`m trying to say is that it all depends on your set-up.I dont care if the baitfish came from a pond or river,if the hook,current,or your weight over powers the fish or is too heavy...i can assure you that the baitfish wont last long.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Yes, you can catch fish with pond caught baits. You can even use pond caught baits multiple times before they die. You can catch big flats on Hot Dogs, Ivory Soap, and Chicken Livers too. But day in and day out you will have better catches from river caught bait than pond caught.

13. Possom

Possom New Member

State:
    Wv
    I use any bait i can get my hands on from shad to skippies to warmouths or the regular old punkin seed. Have no problem from where it came from or where its going its all doin the same thing wantin on mr. shovelhead.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the bream tend to lay it down on the rocks in fast current when i fish them. i have had shad, the supposedly weaker fish, last for quite awhile in the same condition, struggling constantly. probably because the shad in the river are always fighting current, and the bream only move when they have to.
    that would be my guess.

15. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Those shad have to move to live to get enough oxygen to breathe. Used gills in my rvier fishing days in rivers with much success on throw line. Never have R&Red them much. My line were always set close to log or log jams proly where the current was less so they proly stayed alive anyways.