River at Clarksville in arkansas

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by ccat, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    BOC,
    I am heading down to the river at Clarksville this coming Monday, Jan 19. Plan on getting down here around daylight. I have heard of a few catfish being caught down there lately. Can anyone tell me about where to fish down there. I have only fished the river at Ozark and not that area. I will put in at Spadra. Are the fish in this area in the holes now?
    Does anyone know about catching shad in this area?
    If we opt out for Russellville, how far below the dam is the best to fish, or do I need to fish right up against the dam? We'll have a boat but no anchor to handle swift water, just a couple of 20-25 pound anchors.
    Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    ccat

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Chris I would fish the hot water outlet, fish the drop off from the big flat.

3. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    top,
    Like I said, I have never been down there. Someone told me there isn't a dam there. Is there at Clarksville? Or are you talking about the hot water outlet around Nuke 1? If you are saying come to Russellville, I will need you to send me directions about launching and fishing down there, as I have only bass fished out of there on Dardenelle.
    thanks,
    ccat

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    From Spadra go straight to the main river channel ...gotta be there though right at daylight or the shad will be really hard to get you can get a few in that deep channel at spadra watch the birds:eek:oooh::wink: ok follow the river down-stream go around the big bend in the river you'll see new white rocks along the railroad tracks where it washed on the left keep going:smile2: follow the bouys as you go there is an island on the left keep going!!! just past it a little to the right you will see a tall barge light pole and brush around it and along the channel edge....fish that edge with your bait on the drop offs all along that drop should get some blues there:wink: it's about 20-25 minutes run from sadra with a 115 going 20-25mph good luck!!!

5. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Sam,
    Thanks for your help. We were planning on getting down there at daylight, but will get there before sun up to get on the water right at daylight. Where will these shad be right at sun rise? Do I need to just start throwing for them or just look for them on the surface or on the graph?
    Hey, by the way, my daughter and I fished with your buddy Jeff from Team Catfish over the Christmas break. I learned more from him in that short 6 hour period, especially about working the graph/Lowrance and boat position. He mention you and talked highly about you. I guess from the videos of yall getting blown off the lake, you, Johnnie and him had been around Webbers Falls a few days before we fished Grand.
    We used the Team Catfish rods. I was amazed how light they were. I will have several by spring. They will be very worth the money.
    Thanks again,
    ccat

6. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I find them on the graph right before daylight and hammer them fast if i can:wink::tounge_out: before the sun hits and they can see the net!! We been getting them deep so have extra rope enough to go 25ft minimum:eek:oooh: You should hit some fairly quick there it's deep & with single digits coming they will stay in the deep next few days.... Plan "B" LOL:tounge_out: If that dont work watch those gulls start diving early morning and go where they are & throw, throw & throw some more!!!!:smile2:
    should get enough i highly suggest if you dont throw an 8ft cast net start throwing when it's dark!!! Good luck!!!!

7. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    BOC,
    Well, my trip down the hill was a success. I ended up catching 28 nice blues in about 6 hours of fishing. Threw back fish over 7 pounds and kept the smaller ones. I actually ran out of shad. Just couldn't get the shad like I hoped for. They were small too, but apparently that didn't matter. We kept 20 for a huge fry we have coming up next month. I won't have to keep another fish for the rest of the winter.
    I need to thank Big Sam for sending me down to the area I caught these fish.
    Too bad I have to get back to teaching tomorrow or I'd be back down on the river tomorrow.
    ccat

Attached Files:

8. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Your welcome Chris glad to "assist" :eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2: anytime

9. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    CCat,

Nice catch!

Thanks for the report.

Tommy

10. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well Chris me & old Baitboat snuck down that way a few days ago:wink: We had "issues" right off the bat with tangle-nets but we finally got free:tounge_out: We found fish all over the area it was a "pure-frenzy" on several ocassions....we averaged around 10lbs a fish with me taking the big one of the day at 24.75:smile2: I was tired:wink: getting old i guess. Regan battled a few i reckon we caught near 60 blues......good trip

11. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Big Sam Was whipped like a big dog:roll_eyes: But I guarentee you me and him
    would gladly get whipped again:wink: It was non-stop I threw 9 and 10 lbers
    back by the dozen. Im ready to get back there soon:embarassed:

12. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam

13. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green

14. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Sam,
    Sounds like yall wore them out. Yeah, those nets can be a pain if they hang up something other than fish.
    Once I threw at what I thought was shad, but hooked a stump covered with frog eggs. After just ripping it out, I had 4 crappie in the net, the littlest being about 12 inches.

Since my school I teach at is out again tomorrow/Friday, I might try to figure out how to get out of this ice forest and head back down, but I bet the river is probably muddied up by now.
    ccat

15. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    The muddy water didnt seem to bother ol'e Baitboat last saturday.....:confused2: while we couldnt find anything over 8lbs at Polebenders.......He was bagging 10's & 12's with ease over there at clarksville !!:eek:oooh::wink: I beleive his report was 30 cats easy:wink:

16. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Sam,
    I will head down there two weeks from today. I think we get Presidents day off from school. I hope those fish hold on until then. I assume baitboat caught shad and had no trouble catching them?
    ccat

17. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    We spanked them sat 30 solid 3 to 12 lbers. Will be back this sat to try
    again. Bait is still plentiful right now

18. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    baitboat,
    good to hear yall wore them out. I do hope the shad hold on until I get down there. I can't fish this weekend so I will really be ready. I might fish over here next weekend and then head down to clarksville on that Monday.
    ccat

19. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    According to the "latest" weather info the wind will be in excess of 25mph all day friday & saturday & maybe sunday!!!!:wink::eek:oooh:not much enjoyment there BB just survival!!!!:smile2:

20. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well Baitboat called said his 2 friends that leases "prime" hunting land to select few was wanting to catch some catfish badly:tounge_out: (every time he calls were slaying them) :wink: So he came friday night ......BB said lets try course the wind was gonna be a factor...but i said all we can do is try...but if it gets bad were going:smile2: Back to Clarksville....launched right before daylight......went straight to the honey-hole no fooling around:eek:oooh::tounge_out: Wind was really light so we went at them.....it was pretty fast action.....we bagged 50 blues by 1230pm then BB caught a 15lb drum & hexed us out!!!! The wind hit 30mph by 1pm we were gone..all was happy!!! Both his friends were happy we culled back to 40 fish 3-9lbs average i would say was 6-7lbs = 4 1/2 gallons of fillets......No moon-pies were allowed on board!!!!! Although his friends brought & drank mellow-yellow soda pop!!!! Thought that stuff was on the endangered species list!!!