River and Rain

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Chubs, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Chubs

Chubs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello everyone new member here. I have made it my goal to catch the biggin this year and im looking for some advise on fishing for cats on the river during rain or soon after. Is there any good cats biting at this time or am I doomed till the weather gets nicer?

2. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    First of all...Welcome to the site!!!To be honest with you,as long as the fish is hungry,they`ll hit before,during or after a front.I`ve done good in all situations.

3. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome hope you enjoy it lots of info and advice here. Also I myself always had good right when front comes like the light sprinkles.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Welcome Nick. Try some locations that are flooded out cause of the rain and high water. Ya will be surprised. Good luck to ya.

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Spot on.. You'd be surprised how effective nite crawlers are in that situation as well.... Flood plains/area are a major feeding grounds when flooded out. Cats go up there and hunt all the new food sources that got "caught in the flood"..

6. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sometimes rain gets the fish moving. You may not be able to fish certain spots you are accustomed to fishing due to increased current flow, but that is okay just move elsewhere. Dams can be really after some rain, just give it a few days to go down before getting up in them.

7. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You know how all the nightcrawlers come out on your drive when it rains? The same is true for river banks and low lying flood plains.

When my river river rises, it creates a feeding frenzy along the banks.

8. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i've found that we catch more and larger flattys when the river is rising. i think the cloudy water disorients the baitfish and the larger fish take full advantage of it. good luck

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    flooded area works well until the level begins to drop. its their natural instinct to get out of there then.

10. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    rain is the lord telling the fisherman that the fish are coming home

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, Illinois. Good luck.

12. ILChannelMan

ILChannelMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC!! Night before last, I was fishin with nightcrawlers, and right before the rain, me and my buddy were pullin in them whiskers left and right. Nothing during the sprinkle, then right before the next sprinkle...BAM! more cats. It was pretty sweet. Lost a couple 'cuz I was bass fishin too, and I was messing with a bass when my pole went crazy. I wasn't all that happy, either! But I've noticed that when it's kinda overcast, crawlers are the best bait. I also like minnows, but I can get hundreds of crawlers free, courtesy of my backyard!