River Anchors

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by WICATMAN, Aug 10, 2008.

1. WICATMAN

WICATMAN New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know this stuff has been posted in the past but could people post some pics of the anchors they use on the Missouri and Mississippi rivers including home made ones. I checked the library but couldn't find any instructions for ones that used lead. I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Welcome to the BOC Josh

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    First off Josh welcom to the BOC. I just made my anchor on friday. I used 21 pounds of lead ( old tire weights I got from different garages from around the town I live near) an old metal fence post. I welded a piece of flat steel 3/4 inch up from the bottom of the fence post to help make it stronger. Kind of like using rebar for concret. Melted the lead in a pan just a little bigger than a 9 inch pie pan. cleaned out the steel from the tire weight and put the post in the lead and held it straing until the lead hardened. I used it saturday night on the MO river and it held great. First time I have ever been able to anchor in the main current and hold. I probably over killed on the weight but I am good at that. Total cost to me was $0.00. Just used things I had laying around the barn and the lead was free. Total weight is 27 pounds. 6 pounds of steel and 21 pounds of lead. Hope this helps.

Tom

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Here are the 2 different models I have used. The grappling hook style anchor is the one I used with my 18 foot lowe. The lead anchor is the one I use now with my 20 foot boat it weighs 32 pounds. So if you have a boat 18 feet and shorter I would go with the grappling hook. Best dang anchor just wish it could hold my 20 foot boat.

Attached Files:

6. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Its not over kill Tom ,i went got my back fixed today ,just kidding LOL

7. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. Our anchor we use is made up of 2 pieces of 1/4 steel notched down the center and welded together, 1 piece cut in half and welded to each side, 10 pieces of 4" rebar angled down ward and welded, then 2 pieces of flatbar welded at the bottom and angled upward. It is a site to see. I would have to say it weighs about 30 pounds and it holds us just fine in a 20ft flat bottom out on the MO. And the great thing is that all of it was free.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Mr T (Marty) posted a thread before but I cannot find it in the library, maybe he'll come along and repost it. I and several others used his design and they work suprisingly well. Mine are 28 lbs each. If you can scrounge up free lead all you have to buy is a little bit of rebar which is cheap. When they get a little banged up just remelt them in the pot and good as new!

PM him if he doesn't stop in here soon.

9. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    If you ever need some rebar just let me know. I can get some for you guys. Just pm me and let me know.