river anchors

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by mandingo, Oct 31, 2007.

1. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i am kinda new to fishing larger rivers and after getting my digger anchor somehow hung up on the bottom of theMO a couple weeks ago and had to cut my rope, i am convinced that there is a better style of river anchor that would be more suitable.can anyone maybe post a picture of what they use so i can get an idea of what to make?

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    damn it troy your too fast!

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I made one last night and put it to use today and I'll be damned if I EVER purchase an anchor ever again. That thing is AWESOME!!! Stuck every time, Mine weighs about 35+/- pounds and holds my 20 foot boat like a charm! I'm here to tell ya, that is the best anchor I've used to date!

7. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Brad,Troy,thanks for finding that link.i searched all over this site looking for a pic like that.i did have a spare with me when that one got hung up but it was another digger anchor.they work pretty good in lakes but not so hot on a river.i had a good idea that those type of anchors were the type i was needing and i slapped one together last night that looks similar and could be used as a deadly weapon if needed.i dont have a pic yet but i will get one posted.thanks again

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    You can make a river anchor out of what ever you have laying around and that's the way I made mine.I wanted to use a length of 2in pipe but I didn't have any so I used a 14in peice of 2x2in in tubing,I didn't want to use rebar because if it hangs up(and it will) I might not be able to bend the rebar to get it lose so I used 1in 10ga sheat metal.I added a 6ft length of chain and I've been using it for 3 years with no problems.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    1 in. Hot Roll metal works just as well. Although it's big and takes up alot or room. The lead anchors work better if you ask me though.