River advice?

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Birdboy1, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Birdboy1

Birdboy1 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I put the boat in at Trice Landing in Clarksville because its most convient to where i live at and fish it almost daily. I've got a few spots where i can almost garuntee i'll catch 10-15 cats (90% blues) in a hour period, the problem being most of these cats are literally no bigger than 12-14 inches while every once in a while i'll land a 2-5 pounder. I fish now with Nightcrawlers and if i can manage to cast net a few blue gills small enough i'll swim them live (got a 28 pound flat and a 15 pound blue in these honey holes so i know large cats are present as well). I know the smaller bait is prolly leading to the smaller cats.

My questions are where can i find shad to cast net on the main river for bait? Its my favorite bait to fish with but even at Lock B last time out i didn't have any luck cast netting any and had to settle with bluegills. I have no idea where to locate them on the main river.

Will the larger bait prolly deter the smaller cats? Im wanting to go for larger cats and even though i'm constantly in the action should i abandon these spots and look for those that produce a slower bite but larger cats?

Thx for the help.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Unless you luck out and find a few schools on the banks.. they will be in the boils and around the lock wall at the dam. :cool2: Hope this helps bro.

3. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee
    If you run up to where the red and cumberland meet sometimes i have good luck netting shad there, also try behind wendy's right there on riverside( assuming u in a boat) where the big iron wall is you cant miss it the shad seem to run in the corners there pretty regularly. Small blue gill are great but also take the large gills and cut them like shad use half on each hook i have had some good success like this around clarksville.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joshua Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. You might take some white curly tail jigs and try and catch some skipjack. Blues love this oily fish.

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Joshua Welcome to the BOC. I know this part of the river quite well. If you get on the river in the afternoon when the sun is still high you can see schools of them swimming. I just motor slowly until i see the schools and throw a net once and have enough to fish for a week. In the winter it is tricker but can still be done. Good luck

6. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Josh, probably the easiest way to get shad for bait is to take a trip out to the steam plant every couple of weeks and stock up on them. I know, using fresh bait is preferred, but you might have to freeze some to use for a week or so then go back out and get more. I will be home from Iraq at the end of the month and if you want shoot me a PM and ill show you the dip net I made for the wall out at the steam plant. I believe i have the rod to make another one you would just have to buy the metal mesh that goes on it. It will last you years. I seldom use my throw net due to having this dip net. I usually go out to the plant due to getting bait though. Give me a holler and we'll link up while im home for the two weeks.

7. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    welcome to da hood, Scott!Thankx for what your doing for our country, we will be looking forword for your safe return.
    Stay safe.
    smokey

8. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Smokey, Thank you. I was in the Army during the first gulf war but now im a civilian making the big bucks. I still regularly go in harms way but that is half the fun. The other half is the big pay checks. Im happy that I get to support the troops by recovering equipment outside the wire, be it blown up, wrecked, or broke down. Here are a couple of pictures of what I do over here.

Attached Files:

9. Longbow63

Longbow63 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Welcome to BOC!

10. Birdboy1

Birdboy1 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Sorry for the lateness of the reply but thank you everyone for your advice. I went out to the steamplant but they definitely aren't running like they did earlier this year but i got a few. I keep settling for Bluegills, nightcrawlers and livers as bait. Its working pretty well but still catching a lot of the squilers.

SgtRedNeck, I tried idleing around on the river as well looking for schools of shad but i'm on the river from 7-10ish AM everyday when the sun is still low.

Thanks again everyone.