River access question...

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by TTS in PA, Jun 29, 2008.

1. TTS in PA

TTS in PA New Member

State:
    PA
    New to the forum. I've been thinking I've overlooked a good local opportunity in the Schuylkill. I have both a Bass boat and a canoe and am wondering if you guys can recommend good launch access for both types of boats. I'm even open to doing a float trip providing I can get the wife to drop me & my son upstream. I'm near the airport, but am willing to make the drive upstream for a quality launch spot.

Thanks for any help you can give.

TTS

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the Brotherhood Mark , I`m sure Blacky and crew will be along to give you some info.

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the BOC Mark.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    In the Philly area, Gladwyne boat ramp is right off the I76 exit.

There's another one in the Phoenixville area, but that's not my neck of the woods.

It is illegal to have fishing boats in the Fairmount Park strech of the river. It is reserved for rowers.

5. TTS in PA

TTS in PA New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks for the welcome guys.

Is the Fairmount Park section posted in any way? I'm not really too familiar with the area.

From the Gladwyne ramp, any tips on which way to go, or things to avoid?

6. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Welcome to the BOC Mark ! :big_smile:

7. TTS in PA

TTS in PA New Member

State:
    PA
    My son and I took a recon ride to the Gladwyne ramp just to check it out. It looked like a good ramp, but we didn't take the boat as I just wanted to check things out.

I found an empty beer bottle and a baggie partially full of weed/grass, both of which went in the trash can. Is this place frequently used by kids to party at? Is it safe to leave your truck & trailer there while out on the river?

I also noted the sign says sunrise to sunset only. I don't like that you can't night fish, especially for catfish. It looks like a good place for small mouth, how is it for catfish?

8. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Not sure how the fishing is there or the partying for that matter. But I spoke to a park ranger at another PA park about the same sihn and hours. He told us that as long as we were fishing we could fish all night.

I have been told that at several of PA state parks so I would bet it applies there as well.

As far as boat access, check lake noximixion and blue marsh.

9. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Just curious as to wher your located. I fish the Schuylkill river pretty much but from shore. I've had some good days and some not so good. I'd rather goe someplace else to fish only because I can remember, as a kid, what kind of pollution was dumped into that river. At times I wonder if alot still is or not. The fish do look alot better now than they used to. I'm from nothern Berks Co. and there are plenty of fishing spots along the river but not all that many that are easily accessable from shore. Generally, night fishing is like bug city! I've never hooked into what I'd call a large cat yet, I'd guess the largest so far was about 18" and that was quite some time ago. I end up fishing the river mostly because I can get there in less than 5 minutes and could even walk if I'd want to be a pack mule.
    Good fishing to you,
    Larry