Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,103 Posts
For flatheads I like low or average water levels that have been stable for at least three days, but since thats hard to find I like fishing the starting phases of a raise in water levels, thats where the fish are all really active,at least in my rivers, then until the water reaches its peak is okay,as the water crests and drops I have very limited luck fishing on the drop and won't again till it rises or stabilizes for a couple days. thats how it works around me ,I've heard others are different.

the places I fish are also great on a falling barometer and dead on a rising barometer which coincides with the water levels usually.

· Registered
1,519 Posts
Gotta agree with the others. Generally I refer a stable level at or slightly below normal. If I had to have either rise or fall, I'd prefer a gentle fall. Anything drastic tends to screw things up.

· Registered
4,103 Posts
Fishing when its rising is a pain. All sorts of junk gets pushed in from feeder streams. Dont get me wrong fishing is great on the rise but it can be way more difficult than a standard water level
All that "junk" is what turns the fish on! other than grass, logs, sticks,and stuff there is also alot of food washing into the river,this food brings carp,bullheads,channel cats, and any other fish looking for an easy meal to certain spots along the river, which in turn draws the flatties out for an easy meal of other fish. But yes it can be a pain getting all that crap on your line, but just throw to the backwater areas and into the feeder creeks a little ways will avoid alot of that stuff and put you right where the flatties should be waiting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.