rising mo. river/fish tributaries?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by joer, Mar 10, 2009.

1. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Hey guys we all know the river is coming up and water will back up into some of the creeks and tributaries. Is it too early to target cats in those areas yet? I know in the spring with rising water and warmer h2o temps cats will troll the mulberry trees but I haven't targeted them this early in the season. Will they be there or will they hold tight in holes on the missouri? If Gary F. reads this I would like your input.Please help I am trying to update my avatar with a good cat pic.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Water's still a little cold, just a couple more weeks...

3. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I would say hold off to the end of the month!!!

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Joe, It's my first year with a boat in the early season. One thing I can tell you that I discovered from bank fishing is that the fish will go behind the wing dams for protection on a sudden river rise, especially in in the early season through mid May or so. It may be too early or too cold for that behavior, but it's sure worth a try. Tributary mouths that provide shelter from the grass clippings and other small submerged debris would be another good bet.

5. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Thanks to all! It makes sense but I guess I am just ready to get the game on!! I may try it out but it may be a waste of time. I have noticed in the last few days there have been several small cats at the mouth of perche creek and the missouri. We have thrown the net out thinking the graph was showing bait fish but it's turned out to be small cats....they are a b***h to get out of a net! These dudes were about 6 inches long and created a 'cloud' on the graph. Never seen this before that's why I though they were bait fish.

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

Will the fish still be behind the wingdikes after the water is running over the top of them?

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Yeah, but the best time to catch them seems to be early in the rise, when the water has just come up a quick foot or two, and the wing dams are still out of the water or just barely submerged.

8. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    You will get that fish for your avitar soon enough Joe. Thanks Gary for the info. Before we had all the recent rains. last week I went behind a wing dike next to the old lexington bridge for a couple of hours. Caught a couple, but nothing to brag about at all with the exeption that I got my first fish of the year. It might have got real good with the water on the rise as there are some fish there. I would give it a try if you can get out there as the more you are out the more your going to learn what they are doing.

9. Honzy333

Honzy333 New Member

State:
    MO
    hey buddy, I have been doing well behind wing damns where they have broken out in the middle. Place your boat right behind, or on top if the water is high enough, the break out and fish the deep hole and the ramp up. I was out this morning and did ok other than my motor crapping out on me DOWN RIVER!!!!!!!! had to get towed back in. Give me a call.

10. KamoKing

KamoKing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree that it is too early to target the small tributaries. I think the water is still a little too cold. I like to fish them later in the spring and summer when we get a rise or a steady level. A couple weeks later ought to be about perfect.

11. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    This time of year i target the flats on the north side of the river down by lexington ,the sun seems to warm it up faster and found that the cats will be there.