Rishing report- Santee River 4/9- 4/11

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Ghost River, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Myself and 6 other grown men, 3 of which are former commercial/ tournament fisherman, fished the Santee River last week between McConnels landing and the curves above Jamestown. After 2 days, 2 nights, and friday morning we had ZERO catfish. I did catch a turtle and the gar wore us out but as far as catfish go we had no fish and no bites. I don't understand it but hey, that's fishing some times. There is something strange going on there. We loaded up the gear, bought more beer, and headed to Murrells Inlet to flounder fish the rest of the weekend. Oh well.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't know that I have ever heard of a skunking there! I don't know what to say except keep on trying! The next time out may be the world record.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Yep, Colt sometimes it just happens. That is indeed fishing!

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That is very unusual to get skunked like that, but a lot of the cats follow the shad and herring run upriver, as well as spawning, and it can be pretty tough downriver sometimes. I haven't done it in a long time, but I used to set trot lines up in some of the feeder creeks and catch a lot of pretty big fish this time of year, until I realized that most all of them were full of eggs; probably doing a lot of damage to the population. The section of river up around Arrowhead usually has some good fishing this time of year, but we've had very little water flow through there; not sure what effect it may have on the cats. A lot of American shad were caught by anglers in the 'old' river above the rediversion canal at US 52 bridge area and Wilson's Landing, and the cats usually are there too. I was up that way yesterday and didn't see anyone at all fishing, though, so the shad run must be pretty much over.

6. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    On the way out we stopped at Arrowhead. Some body guilding out of there had pics. of 52 that he and 2 others had caught and kept the night before. I'm pretty sure I know where he's fishing now. he told my partner, Lo, that he was guilding a bow fishing trip that night. :angry: Oh well. the river has been getting worse and worse for the last 6 or 7 years so were going to learn a new body of water for future trips.

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Colt, that bow fishing isn't for me; kinda like shooting at road signs, but I guess it satisfies the primal urges of some. Don't be too hard on yourself; I've spoken with several anglers between Arrowhead and the ocean this week, and none of them has had much luck on Santee, either. Maybe it's the full moon coming on???? Who know?

8. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I thought this was pretty interesting too. Last year my uncle talked with one of the wildlife biologist that work that section of SC. He said he's been hearing complaints about all the shad nets so he put in at Arrowhead and rode to the ocean. He counted 118 shad nets by the time he made Poleyard landing. Now y'all know I'm for the working man but that's a lot of dadshim nets.

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, I was on the water early into the netting season, and I'm amazed that a shad can make it up the river at all. They're all gone now, except for a couple of die-hards below Arrowhead, as far as I can see. We did some sampling on the lower stretch below US 17 today, and didn't catch a single shad or herring.