Rippinlips Supercat VS Denali Bottom Feeder Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Blade4130, Jun 21, 2017.

1. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Hahaha, Kyle, lay the rod & reel down and step away from the boat.

We have an addiction problem here. Haha

I forget, how many hands do you have.

Well, I am just about as bad. Carry on.

Blade4130 likes this.
  2. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    Haha. 2 two many

3. hookslinger

hookslinger Active Member Supporting Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    Yea I know that addiction too lol. I sold 4 7000's I wasn't using and bought 3 penn squall's 15 I didn't need!

Doc-a-boo and Blade4130 like this.
  4. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    Yea to me haha.

Blade4130 likes this.
  5. Doc-a-boo

Doc-a-boo Active Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Craig
    The new Denali came in,I like it ,,but,,,,if I closed my eyes, and someone handed me a Denali then a rippin lips,without me touching the fore grip, I don't think I could tell them apart.
    But I think the Denali's tip is a bit bigger then the rl's..can't wait to catch something on it.

Blade4130 and D schuerenberg like this.
  6. SpecialK

SpecialK New Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Kevin
    Hey there, I would love some input from you regarding these rods. My main rig is 2oz lead with live bluegill, generally in the 3-5inch range and I'm usually catching fish in the 5-15lb range and I fish lakes and small rivers with very little current. Do you think the medium or medium heavy would be better suited?

Blade4130 likes this.
  7. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Kevin, the Medium or Medium Heavy would work but if I were chasing, for no or low current, and fish ranging from 30 pounds and below, I would go with the Medium rod. For fish 30 pounds and above I would go with the Medium Heavy rod. We generally say a Medium Rippin Lips rod makes a great Channel Cat rod but that is because Channels usually are in the 30 pound and less range.

I can't speak about the Denali since I have not seen or used one.

The Rippin Lips can be bought from Amazon for a good price ( I think it is still around $39) with free shipping. Check and verify that is still the case if you go that way.

tight lines

Fate and Blade4130 like this.
  8. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    The medium is what your looking for. This is my biggest flat and one of my biggest fish with the Denali

Attached Files:

Fate likes this.
  9. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    My rig that I use mostly using live bait in lakes or low current is. I use 1-2oz with a nice lively bluegill. The medium Denali and Rippinlips handle it just fine. Medium heavy will work as well but the medium is more suited for what you want to do.

Fate likes this.
  10. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    One of my Rippinlips medium rods with a Catmaxx went to my cousins son lol he loves that rod!

Attached Files:

Propshredder, Fate and OkSixpack like this.
  11. SpecialK

SpecialK New Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Kevin
    Just ordered a medium Denali, excited to get it in and give it a shot. Thanks everyone for all your input!

12. SpecialK

SpecialK New Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Kevin
    I like that rod holder, is that something you made? I’ve never seen one like that before.

Blade4130 likes this.
  13. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    That tri pod rod holder is from Catfishconnection. It's16 dollars I believe at CC.

Fate and Catpaw like this.
  14. Devon

Devon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cabelas has the Denali Bottom Feeder Rods for $49.99. And currently they have free shipping for orders over $50. I just placed an order for a rod and a spool of line. Got free shipping. Had to pay a bit of sales tax. I'm not sure how they are coming out on this deal. The rod drop ships from the manufacturer & my spool of line will come from Cabelas. Oh well. Not my worries.

15. catfishmike32

catfishmike32 Member

State:
    ohio
    Name:
    michael bills
    Them denalis look pretty sweet tho

16. SteveMcK

SteveMcK New Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve McKinzie
    i'm new to the forum in MS. Been chasing these crazy catfish seriously for about 3yrs now with Rippin Lips rods. They are fantastic for the price. I have caught a 30lb flat on the med action casting and hundreds in the 10-20lb range. It handled the 30 just fine but I don't think it would horse one that size out of cover. No problem in open water though! I have looked at the Denali rods in the store and couldn't tell any difference compared to Rippin Lips.

Catpaw likes this.
  17. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Hi Steve. Welcome to the USCA forum. I have both the Rippin Lips MH and the TWC Extreme and love them both. But I will say I think you are correct, for the price, you can't bet the Rippin Lips. I think $39 with free shipping.

Sounds like you are giving them a good workout.

tight lines.

18. SpecialK

SpecialK New Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for the info Steve! I'm new to the forum as well and I wish I would have joined sooner, it's nice to talk to some folks that own and use some of the gear I want to try, especially since i can't get my hands on it locally. I just ordered a Denali medium from Cabela's for $49.99 with free shipping, should be here this week. If it's anything like you described the Rippin Lips it should be great.

19. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    Just comparing their "heavy" models, there are some differences; R/L is made of lighter, stronger S glass while Denali and most others are made from E glass. R/L is rated at 20-50lb mono with a lure rating at 6-10oz (had to call Custom Jigs & Spins to get that) and Denali is rated at 40-50lb. mono and 5-8oz lure wgt. (Cabela's) Both rods (8') can be had in one pc, while R/L is also in two pc. for portability.

Catpaw and Blade4130 like this.
  20. SpecialK

SpecialK New Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Kevin
    Just got my Denali bottom feeder medium power in. First impressions are that this is a very nice rod for the price, they could ask more in my opinion. Weighs 9.5oz so it's light in the hand, guides are very nice as well. I prefer cork grips over foam, but I'm ok with these, might consider some rubber x heat shrink down the road. I'm a big fan of trigger real seats and split grips so those are exactly what I like. I wish somebody would sell a rod with the Alps Trigger aluminum reel seat, but that would somehow make it a stupid expensive rod. Got it paired up with and Abu Garcia 6600 C4, which makes a great combo. Casted up to 4oz in my parking lot at work and it handles it beautifully, no fuss. Could probably go to 6 without too much trouble. Comparing this to my St. Croix Mojo Cat medium power, it will handle more weight and at a 1/3 of the price it's almost hard to compare the two. Looking forward to getting some warmer weather soon and giving this thing a go.