Ripping runs, then snagged?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SWeiss, Sep 21, 2009.

1. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    This has occured several times over the last few weeks in the same spot.

I bank fish. I primarily use live sunfish (gills, etc.) for bait. On several occasions I would get a screaming run, line is being pulled off so fast the clicker sounds like one solid ZZZZZZZZZZZ rather than click, click, click. Real fast, real violent.

I pick up the rod and start to real down, and nothing. Snagged. Most times I get my whole rig back minus the bait. Sometimes I break off everything. My hooks come back sharp, so I am thinking a submerged tree or something, not a rock. It's always in the SAME spot.

It's not drifting debris (no current and the line isn't moving downstream).

Could I be hooking into a huge fish that is running back to cover and getting me snagged up?

I really want to catch whatever it is that is doing this!

Rig: 20# Trilene Big Game. Carolina Rig with 1-2 oz egg sinker, and 8/0 Gama circle hook.

Any ideas?

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    do you have gar there?

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Have you ever gotten the bait back as well, to look for evidence? As ks mentioned, Gar will do that, but I have also had turtles make fairly hard runs at bait before. Although, I think if it's live bait, the turtles are less likely, but not impossible.

Aside from those, I would imagine that it is a cat that's running for cover. Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily have to be a big one to do that.

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Try doing the same as you are with a little change,don't give the fish a free spool to run with,when he grabs the bait and goes to run let him hit the end of the line and hook himself. Then don't let him get into cover and hang you up,use a good sturdy rod holder that won't bend or pull out under pressure,it just might be a big old cat,but from the take you describe I would say under a 20 lber,just because in my own experiences the big ones don't do the snatch and run,more of a grab and walk. They seem to know that they are big,bad,and ugly and know that there's not much to worry about after taking the bait.
    Just think about getting him stuck before he gets back in his hidey hole.

5. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Do you have Bowfin in your area? They will hit a bait hard at a dead run and never slow down. Then they will stop and just seat there. Most of the time they run back to a brush pile or other cover. They have a bone plate in the top of their mouth and the rest of their mouth is mostly bone. They are hard to hook & land because if hooked they will bite your line right into. If that's what you have use a steel leader with a large worm hook "hooks for rubber worms". Bait it with some type of cut bait sunfish,they just love gills. Let him take the bait a bit and lay into to him with the most powerful hook set you can lay on him. Oh yea if you land one whatever you do DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS IN HIS MOUTH. or you will be hurting BIG time. LOL

6. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    No bowfin here and if there are gars here, they're rare. Never seen or heard of one caught in the Susquehanna River.

I never get my bait back after one of these instances, just the hook. Sometimes I break off completely.

I will fishing that line without free spool to see what happens. I better get a real rod holder though!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Might try changing to a Kahle or J hooks, !!:wink:

8. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    Scott, pretty simple solution to this one. Go back to the same spot, throw out to the same area, put your rod in a real sturdy rod holder and tight line it. Wait for the pole to load and let it hook himself. Hold the pole high, lock down the drag and horse whatever it is out and up out of the snag it's running for.

:big_smile:

It's also possible you are casting right on top of a snag, like a big submerged tree. If that's the case it's gonna be a little tougher. Just make sure when you cast to let it sink after it hits the water, and not to reel it in at all.

9. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks guys! I will give these suggestions a try and see what happens.

Friday night we'll see what's been messing with me!

With these Kahle hooks, do you fish them like a J-Hook? I have some but am not versed in their proper use. Set the hook with them?

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    with a kahle you can set it like a j hook or let them set there self like a circle.I like to set the hook with kahles myself but at least there a little bit more forgiving if your a little late they may have hooked themselves.
    As for whats taking your bait like that it could be a big turtle,or a big cat who knows. Im thinking its a turtle and he cant get that 8/0 hook in his mouth thats why you cant hook him.but heck give the kahles a try and see what happens:wink:

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    sounds like a turtle i keep dealing with....when i catch him he will no longer be my problem....and i will catch him...

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Happens to me too Steve.I solve the problem by casting 10 ft in either direction so I got time to nail his ass before he can make it back to his hidey hole.:wink:

13. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    That made me laugh. Only because it was funny. Problem is, I think I know that turtle. You better get on the ball, cause if I get to him first, you will miss out.:big_smile:

14. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    sounds like a channel cat run to me. probably running you into a brush pile or tree.

15. SnagHatr76

SnagHatr76 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Whatever it is hopefully you can pull it out of the water and let us know.

16. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would try something different like use a 8/0 laser sharp circle hook on a heavy rod with no clicker . Let it load the rod and hook its self .

17. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I had this same problem Sunday. Something would pull the cork under and hold it, meanwhile I was reeling up slack line because it was windy and the boat was moving a lot. I would reel till I felt him and then set the hook, had some shake their head or something and then let go. Some of my shrimp looked shredded. Saw a turtle sitting a log but he stayed there most of the time. Don't have any gar, it may have just been a little cat, but I did have my line break on one just setting the hook, so I'm thinking maybe a softshell turtle or something. I'll figure it out this soon or just pick a different spot

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    also might want to beef up your line from 20# to some 65-80# braid, that way you can horse them in a little faster before they run ya into that snag hole:wink:

19. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Kahle = 2 hooks - N- 1. As stated above they can be used both ways. But a good hook set with them is your best bet.

20. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    up the line size and rip his face off