RIpley yesterday

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by ohio hilljack, Feb 9, 2009.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Drew and I went to the mighty Ohio yesterday looking to do some blue cat damage, but it never quite worked out that way.Went down the river instead of up as we have been doing. The river was not up much which we really didn't expect, weather great and the wind very light, a perfect day for fishing . Started out anchored just below town in a hole we seen some shad surfacing on in hopes of catching our first fish of the day as well as some shad, did neither , moved to the mouth of a creek spewing ice about a half mile down. Barely had the poles in the water and we both had small channels in the boat ,just the kind of start we had hoped for other than the fact they weren't blue. Quickly rebaited and threw back out, then waited. Well I waited Drew caught five more, I caught a case of wish I was fishing out the other side of the boat. Luckly before I got too upset and pushed him overboard I got another one. We traded back and forth him getting one then me getting one for about a hour and a half. That one hole put fourteen channels in the boat, only problem was they weren't blue. So we moved in search of a better location for blues, tried several over the next four hours and caught one fish out of each hole, but no blues. With four o'clock fast approaching we decided to run up the deep side really slow and watch for fish on the finder, working our way up to the hole we caught the fourteen in. All was well for about five minutes then the water went from a respectable 25 feet to about twelve in a hurry and we left one blade of the prop sticking in the top of a submerged stump. Well anyone who has seen that prop on my boat knows it was looking for a excuse to be changed anyway, so we changed it right in the middle of the river. Quite a exilerating experience hanging out on the end of a outboard motor when the sonar is showing 32 degrees for surface temp, although Drew did assure me it had to be warmer the further down you got. Just like Larry the cable guy we got it done and moved back up to our creek ,finished out the day with 22 channels. It was a great day but I really need someone to show me how to get on these BLUES... Water seemed to only be up about four or five feet. There was quite a bit of trash and any pole in the water for more than about fifteen minutes was bobbing like crazy. Everytime we reeled in to change bait it was like pulling in a dead ten pounder ,really had a workout like we had caught a hundred and fifty fish. Frozen shad was the bait for the day as we never got on any fresh though we tried. All rigs were Carolina with circles ,six ounce sinkers. Oh yeah there were ice skiffs everywhere and we did see what it would be like if like a hunred and fifty pound fish hit your pole would be like. If a big old chunk of ice hits your line with current behind it while your not paying attention it realllllly livens up the show,and getting that pole out of the pole holder ,wow.

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    101_4311.jpg

101_4312.jpg

101_4297.jpg

Here are some picks of the fish, the biggest was Drews 9 lb 8 ounce I never even came close my biggest was four pounds . But I did catch the only double of the day.

3. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Guess you don't get to see my huge fish. The sheds were found Saturday ,the larger pair will be referred to as primary target 2009 from this point forward.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man your a channel cat machine! Dont feel bad I couldnt find a blue in Ripley to save my life either. I will be heading out Thursday around Cincinnati to fight the wind and boat some blues. Even though I absolutley hate wind, it seems I always catch more blues on windy days...go figure right? Have to miserable I guess to catch any..LOL...Congrats on a good day on the water bud!:wink:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Well, I have to confess that you and Drew won this weekends battle, but I have not given up the fight so easily. I should be on the river again this weekend. I have already started sweet talking Jamie!:wink:

Do you think you guys will make it out?

Those sheds surprised me when I saw the photos, Good thing you cleared it up. I thought this was a new HillJack fishing rig or leader that I was supposed to figure out!:smile2:

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I know the blues are want you wanted,but at least you caught some fish..I would chalk it up as a good day

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the good day Willie. Even if they were channels, its still fun to catch fish even during the winter..:wink: rollo

8. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Your time is coming my friend....hopefully it'll be a monster too!

9. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks Chris and Travis I sent some reps your way. I hope to get back down this weekend, I'll probably do a lot better following your advice.