Rio Grande, New Personal Best

Discussion in 'NEW MEXICO RIVER TALK' started by NewMexicoCatfisher, Jul 21, 2009.

1. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    So I went down to the Rio Grande right near my house and started fishing cut bluegill..I hit 2 little cats and 1 small bullhead before deciding to head downstream....I started fishing a few riffles with a whole bluegill (around 2 inches long). I set the hook after a few small nibbles and missed the fish. The next cast I drifted the bait into the same spot, and this time I got the fish. It was a long, hard fight on my 8lb line but I finally landed the fish! It turned out to be a 32" channel cat!! :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Seth that is a great channel you caught there, I bet the fight on 8# was heart pumping:smile2:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Seth Congrats on your new PB. You sure believe in giving the fish a fighting chance by using 8# line. WTG.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats buddy,Thats a nice channel.:cool2:

5. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Really nice channel Seth. Thanks for the pic and the story.

6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on a really nice channel!!

7. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I love using light tackle all the time! Besides, most of the fish I get in that area are usually under 20 inches.

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    That is one really nice channel cat there Seth. I well earn congrats on the catch. Thank you for the post an many thanks on the pic!

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Seth,I would suggest getting a digital scales to go along with the tape,Inches dont get my blood pumpin like pounds .:wink:

10. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Yeah, I figure I need to get one sometime soon. I really don't have any money right now to get one, so I just go with my old measuring tape. Once I get a new job, it will be one of the first things on my list to buy. :tounge_out:

11. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    congrats on your great catch! That's an awsome looking channel! What a fun fight on 8lb line. I also got my pb this week here in az at Bartlett lake. What a feeling right?

12. CrazyLencho

CrazyLencho New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great catch, did you CPR it so I can catch it down here in El Paso in a few years? Ive been fishing El Rio since they released the water in March but been only catching small #1-2 channels. Last night we fished El Rio near Anthony,NM and I also caught my best-a #9 channel!

Attached Files:

13. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Nice fish!! I did release the fish! The NMDGF does not recommend eating fish out of this stretch of river anyways...

14. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    nice catch! it kinda looks albino.

15. CrazyLencho

CrazyLencho New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks! Ive been waiting to hit a big cat all summer. It is a little albino,it might have been a blue cat. It was a real light grey color no spots or no green anywhere and its belly was white and round the fins were pink also. I never seen a blue up close only in pics. It was late and dark that night so we all just thought it was a channel.

Attached Files:

16. Shaddy

Shaddy New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Whats up guys? Im new here and am looking for some nice water to fish on the Rio. I currently fish the section below the isleta Dam but the water is kinda low. There are some nice holes along the banks but the biggest one we got so far was just over 20". Any advice on where to fish and what to use?? We use beef kidney and it seems to work very well! I have never tried cut bait although I would really like to. Im heading out to the river on Saturday and am curious to find a monster. Any pointers?? Is it safe to eat the catfish from the river?? Im pretty curious about that as well. Any help would be great!!

17. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Cutbait is definitely the way to go for bigger cats, or whole bluegill and suckers. I've never fished on the Rio that far South but I bet it cannot be that much different from what I fish.. Also, I wouldn't recommend eating cats or carp from the river. I think the NMDGF allows you 1 cat per month from there, but I C&R all of them from the Rio..

18. boonbltz

boonbltz New Member

State:
    texas
    Shady head south on I-25 just before socorro get off on the San Acacia exit go east towards the river, there is a dam site there and big cats, mostly blues and channels.

I am also down in El paso and what most on the forum don't know is we are catching these fish in a river with a deep hole being all of 6 feet deep. So hats off to that channel and the 9lb blue.

I am consistanly catching 5 to 10lb flat heads around the El Paso area most in drainage ditches with 2 to 3 feet of water believe of not.

good luck to all

19. CrazyLencho

CrazyLencho New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've heard about those big flatheads in the drains. Do you fish the upper valley or lower valley area? I've heard the rio grande near Fort Hancock also produces some big catfish.

20. boonbltz

boonbltz New Member

State:
    texas
    upper valley, catch and release toxic water