Rio Grande/ Las Cruces/Mesilla Valley area

Discussion in 'NEW MEXICO RIVER TALK' started by CrazyLencho, Mar 13, 2009.

1. CrazyLencho

CrazyLencho New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anybody know of any good areas around Las Cruces Texas Border? Im from El Paso and that is closest and safest river in the area.

2. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    You can always fish the NMSU campus pond for a bunch of oversized carp, but not many cats. If you are interested in fishing for trout, the Rio Penasco is there. It is $25 per day to fish in most areas and there are a few ponds.

3. CrazyLencho

CrazyLencho New Member

State:
    Texas
    What bait do you use for them Rio Grande carps? Im planning on going up to Percha/Caballo Dam soon now that the water is high for irrigation.

4. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I get them on Corn, and various doughbaits. I like cotton seed doughbait the best.

5. CrazyLencho

CrazyLencho New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hows the fishing up there on your neck of the woods? Im planning on going to Albuquerque in the summer, I would appreciate any info...like fishing holes,bait shops...

6. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    The fishing has been pretty inconsistent so far this year. We had a "fake" type runoff thing and the water shot up to over 2000cfs on the Rio. Now it's dropped down to a little under 1000cfs. I have got a few small blues and carp but nothing very good. I bet the fishing will be GREAT around late May/ early June in the backwaters.