Rimfire rifle modified for arrows

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Deltalover, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    March 7th, 2006
    From the office of “what will they think of next,” inventors have come up with a new firearm called the Airrow Rimfire. The firearms are made by Swivel Machine Works Inc. of Newtown, Conn.

For $750, you can buy a Ruger 10/22 rifle that has been modified to fire a special 16-inch arrow at 335 to 435 feet per second, that’s about 100 more feet per second than arrows fired from a compound bow. Or for about $380, you can modify your own Ruger with the arrow-shooting barrel.

The firearm has some wildlife managers concerned about the weapon’s potential for use in poaching. Since the noise is minimal (the arrows are fired with a .22 blank load which is even quieter than a normal .22 load) and the weapon is accurate out to 50 yards, it could be misused. Yet it also offers an advantage for wildlife managers, as it is capable of firing tranquilizer loads.

The manufacturer is touting the firearms as safe for use in more urban-type hunting situations where deer numbers are too high.

Swivel Machine Works started out creating air-powered arrow-shooting rifles. This is the company’s latest advance.

Attached Files:

2. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have often wondered if that would work.i wonder if you could use it during crossbow season.

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I had to see the pic thats SWEET!

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Now that is different...cool post

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats an awsome lookin gun?bow but Ithought that a 10/22was an auto.? the gun I saw plainly looks like a bolt action or is that part of the modifacation?

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    That is just too cool, I would love to own one!

Eric

7. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Good looken gun, I'd like to have one for target shooting. I wonder how much the arrows are, and how long they last

8. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    i would say the arrows are prolly 10.00 each or so and i would say that they are a lot stronger than compound arrows and prolly crossbow bolts aswell....

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    They have a pretty good website, that you should be able to find with the info in the first post!

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    neat piece thanks for postin it delta!

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I didnt pick up on the bolt, def not a 10/22, could possibly a Ruger Mark IV though.

I just thought of something, does it shoot strictly field points? I dont see how a braod head would fit even with that etended muzzle.

Great Post, thanks