rigs

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by catfish9, Sep 15, 2008.

1. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    What reel would you guys suggest for a 9ft whuppin stick.I fish the missouri and the kaw quite a bit but I also fish at a couple lakes.any ideas:confused2:

2. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    if it were my set up id go with the shakespere tide water good reel for the money i have two of them i just pulled in a 20ft log on the kansas durning high water plenty of power

3. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    what kind of money are we talking I want a good reel but do not want to spend hundreds

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    That particular reel is a little over $30 at Wally World.

5. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    yep sure is
    :roll_eyes:

6. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    the penn 209 is all so a very fine reel but more money:tounge_out:

7. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Ambassedeur 7000c is often mentioned along with the Penn 209 as lifetime
    reels for heavy catfishing and your rod sounds like a serious big fish rod
    that would go well with either. There are certain constants that you will
    find by looking through the Members Library and other discussions on the
    site and these two models of reel have a strong and reverent following.

8. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks for the useful post guys:big_smile:

9. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    no problem welcome to the boc

10. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Last week the Roeland park Wal-Mart had 2 shakespeare tidewaters on sale for 19.99. You have to habla Espanol to go there though Jeremy.I had just spent a bunch of money on tackle so I let 'em slide.

11. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I will try to go by there on my lunch hour and see if they still have them. I could even buy 'em for ya if they do. Sometimes they mark em down even more if they don't sell and you wait. Those big Okuma's {can't remember the model #] are only $26 at Minnesota if they have. I have 2 of those on 8' whuppin sticks with 40lb cajun red and they seem to work well. By the way guys 78th st walmart in op has 300 yd spools of 50lb big game line by Berkley for 2$ a spool and they had several left yesterday. 7/0 Gamakatsu octopus hooks for 1$ a package instead of 5$.I bought a whole bunch of them.Gimme a pm sometime jeremy let's go fishing.River or lake sitll got a couple weeks of good lake fishin left I think.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    IMO pflueger makes the best reels for the money maybe period. I love the g30 but it may feel wrong (too big) for the ws maybe not. the g15 might be just right. http://www.eangler.com/product/476032909.htm?utm_medium=cpa&utm_source=Shopping :wink: i have a abu 6000 on my 9' ws and its not bad. i have an okuma classic 300l on a 9'king kat witch is pretty mutch the same as a ws, and it works prety good for about half the price. but again imo pflueger is the way to go :wink:

13. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I'm only talkin about low budget options.If money ain't a factor I'd buy abu 6500 c3s or 7000's they will last you forever although I did have one break the weld on the reel seat while I was fighting a big {5'} gar at Truman.It was probably 35 years old though.:smile2:

14. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    they had marked them down to 9$ however. They have 2 6000 abu's but they haven't marked them down any yet.I offered 'em 20 bucks apeice but the manager wasn't there they wouldn't do it.