rigs

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by bigrob2530, Apr 24, 2008.

1. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    what kind of rig would you use to fish for them big cats on the three rivers let me know thanks ????????????????

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    one rig you can use is to add your weight to main line then tie on a heavy duty swivel (helps alleviate line twists)then tie on a 1-3 foot leader and add hook. or you could tie mainline to 3 way swivelthen tie on your leader and hook and then tie on 6-8 inch lighter pound test and tie sinker to it(this way with lighter pound test than main line if you get snagged most times you will only lose weight and not entire rig). use hooks appropriate to size of bait and sinkers appropriate for amount of current. good hook sizes for flatheads are generally 6/0-9/0 depending on size of bait. good weight sizes are generally 2-4 ounces again depending on current speed. i hope this helps you out a little and hope you catch a hog. keep us posted and welcome to the club.

3. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    thanks for the help iam going to try that way

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    rob you may want to buy a frabil bait bucket (basically a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and aerator that runs on batteries) to keep your bait alive. cut bait works but most times they want live. you can buy it at gander mountain for around 60 bucks. it works great and i have had 15 bluegill and 2 dozen suckers in it at once and they all stayed alive all night. well worth the money.

5. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    thanks man for the help

6. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Their is also alot of good info in the Members library.. and if you dont have the cash you can always just use a 5 gallon bucket with an airator and some ice :cool2: thats what i use and realy have not had a problem with it yet.

7. Cmartin4538

Cmartin4538 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I use a 3/4 egg sinker with a heavy duty barrel swivel. Then i tie a 12 inch leader to the other end of the barrel swivel. Last i finish it off by tieing on a 3/0 kahle hook.:smile2:

8. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    My favorate rig... You first just feed your line though one side of a small swivel, then feed on a small plastic bead, then tie on your hook. I use 8/0 gammagatsu octapus. After you tie the hook on I use a lighter diameter mono to tie the weight to the swivel. I leave about 10-16" of light line usually 12# test. What this seems to do for me is use smaller weghts in the current cause the tab of line gets down in the rocks. It also slips easily though the swivel and allows the fish to run without feeling the tension. This rigs has really upped my hooking percentage. I tend to stay away from a leader cause I fear of breaking the short piece of line during the strike.

9. nicdicarlo

nicdicarlo New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvani
    WhiskerWacker, that sounds like a good rig. I might give it a shot.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

I second that, Nic! I may give it a try.

Standard catfish rig consist of your weight (no-roll, flat, bank, or even egg), plastic bead, swivel, leader, and lastly hook.

You don't have to get too fancy with your rigs, catfish don't care.