Rigs -What do you use for Flathead Catfishing?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bobsmitter03, Mar 10, 2006.

1. bobsmitter03

bobsmitter03 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    How many differentrigs do you use and what are they?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I only use one rig for my river flathead fishing, standard slip sinker rig...Usually 30-lb biggame main line, 30-lb leader, Berkly Mcmahon swivel, and generally a 3 all the way up to an 8-oz no roll sinker..Gamagatsu 8/0 Circle hook, although I will be trying some 8/0 King Kahles this year.

3. bobsmitter03

bobsmitter03 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    thanks for the help i figured i try some different rigs this year

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    depending on the situation i'll use a carolina rig, 3-way, slip 3-way, slip float rig, slip float paternoster. i even experimented one year fishing for channels in lakes with a "hair rig" like you would use for carp but with cut-bait. it worked but i just got tired of trying to retie the rig.

5. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    From the main line we add a bead and a bobber stop. Next add a heavy gauge swivel. ON the other side of that , another bead then bobber stop, hook at the end. Makes a one line leader. a pyramid weight is connected to the swivel in between both sets of stops. Leave a ft or more for leader depending on the cover you are going to fish. More cover= less leader. Less cover=more leader

6. bobsmitter03

bobsmitter03 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    thanks and what rig would i use in no current to slow current. Would i still want to use one with a pyramid sinker on it or would i want to use a slip sinker rig

7. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    if i am in a fairly open hole not many snags i'll use a big slip sinker above a swivel and a leader from 18" to 24"..if i am in a tight spot with big logs i will use only between 6" and 12" that way he keeps fighting the weight of the sinker but, doesn't wrap around the logs....most of the time..lol

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    mostly use a fishfinder rig (like a carolina rig, with the sinker sliding on the line above the leader). I vay the sinker, though, according to where I am fishing (always in a medium sized river). I always try to use the smallest and least noticeable sinker I can get away with, so for casting straight behind the boat I use a 1.5 oz egg sinker. Short casts near the bank I usualluy use a 2 oz bank sinker. For casting accross the current out into the middle of the irver I go to a 3 oz pyramid that will hold better on the sand and not get dragged away.

9. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use the same rig as SangamonCatKiller it's a good rig. The only thing different this year im switching to disk sinkers.

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use a slip sinker rig. 40 lb Berkley Big Game mono line, 2-4oz no roll slip sinker, 50lb P-Line mono leader line, large 2 way barrel swivel, 8/0 gamakatsu octopus circle hook. My hook is snelled on with the mono leader line and both ends of the barrel swivel , I use a palomar knot.

11. RT1

RT1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    egg sinker slip rig

12. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I also am a slip rig kinda guy, but the 3-way rig is also good.

13. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i have real good luck just sliding 5 oz egg sinker over my line and tying a 10/0 hook, put a shad on and cast. been seeing alot of differant rig styles on here but i was always taught if it aint broke dont fix it.

14. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i use the carolina/flounder rig whatever ya wanna call it for the channels.
    for the yellows i use 50 lb mono. a 4-6 inch live bluegill on a 12-14 inch leader about 18 inches above a 1 ounce pyramid sinker. oh, a 5/0 kahle hook.

15. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    I usually use 20# berkely big game with same as leader. Basically the same rig as flathunter uses. mainline run through snap swivel ( to change out heavier sinkers without having to re-tie rig and easier to transport rod without sinker attatched) ran through a bead, then swivel, leader and 8/0 gammy hook. I have tried 30# but it is hard to snap from a boat when ya get hung up.

16. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hello,
    I am also using pretty much the same set up as flat hunter. I know alot of guys laugh at using up to 8oz no rolls but in our heavy current and fishing from a boat alot of times a 5oz wont even make it to the bottom. I have seen it 25-30 yards our and be suspended 2-3 foot below the surface. I carry 3-8oz with me also and use what I feel is needed. I also started using a bead below the no roll, but dont know if that really does anyting. Fished for most all my years without a bead and I am not aware of any problems. It does look cool though.

Tight Lines
    Danny J

17. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use a carolina rig with about 18" of leader and usually a 4 oz. sinker & small float on my leader to help keep the live bait up a struggling.