rigs to use in river

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by jason21b, Jul 26, 2008.

1. jason21b

jason21b New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i fish in the rivers alot and use a 3 way rig not to much luck just seems to get tangled up alot any suggustions on other rigs that work for you guys that may work better

2. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jason welcome to the BOC, I sure you can find some help here somewhere. I use a Texas rig, A lot of people use a three way rig for bouncing the bottom from a boat. I also see a lot of people using it on the cat walk below Pickwick dam. I will use a Texas rig 95% of the time. that is just my preference. Are you fishing from the bank or a boat?

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use the basic slip sinker rig with about 18" lead line to a barrel swivel with 4 ounce egg sinker when the current is slow and when the current is fast I use a bell sinker or a pyramid sinker..Hope that helps..

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    a barrel swivel with the mainline to the swivel, a sacrificer *#mono to a bank sinker on the bottom and a leader and circle hook off the side of the top swivel loop. This way if I get hung up, it is the sinker and easily replaced without losing the rest of the rig. Good luck.

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    river fishing in current anchored up i like the drooper loop ( basically a 3 way rig without having to use a 3 way swivel ) and gives you a double leader line to the hook . personally i think its better to get your bait off the bottom a few inches to a foot or 2 makes it easier for the big cats to scoop the bait in instead of rooting around head down to suck in a bait off the bottom.

in slack water the last few years i use a carolina rig with a 3 foot leader and put a small cork 8 inches from my hook to get the bait off the bottom as well.

seemed to help dont need a very big cork at all all your floating is the bait. nickle to quarter size is plenty.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I only use the 3-way rig from a boat, otherwise is is the classic slip-sinker rig (carolina rig) for me. If you have a real fast current or are fishing in real close to structure, you may want to limit your leader line to 6-8 inches. This will cute down on snags

7. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Well when yall are out night fishing with rod and reel from a boat do yall use lights or not.Thinking about going out this evening and droping some crappie beds on Percy Priest and then turn to some Hybrid and Catfishing.Just really dont want to run the trot lines and jugs.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    no lights except the marker lights required. Nothing to spook wise old whiskers.:wink:

9. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The most common rig I use is the standard slip rig with no roll sinkers. Current speed will determine what length leader & weight I use. In very fast current I will do away with the leader all together. Remember: The longer the leader is the more movement the bait will have in current which will increase the snagging possibilities from this movement. Like I said, this is the most common that I use but there are other options that I do use and work well. You sure came to the right place to ask that question...the guys and gals on BOC know from their own experience and the suggestions they are making are tried and true. Try more than one till you find a few that works for you in the area you are fishing. Good luck and catch a PB for us all!!

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I feel like I would need a bit more information about your particular situation. Like bank or boat? What type of bank...riprap, woody etc? And when you say your getting tangled do you mean the your hook line is getting tangled around your weight line or are you getting hung on things in the water?
    If you mean your hook line is getting tangled with your weight line you might try using a "crossline 3-way swivel" this looks like a half of a lower case "+" rather than the traditional "peace" sign swivel. Attach your hook and main lines to the north and south ends and weight line to the eye in the middle.
    If your fishing a pretty smooth bottom try the Carolina mentioned earlier. On both however make sure you've got enough weight to "hold on bottom" that will eliminate any unecessary blowing around which can = tangles. :0a26:

Attached Files:

11. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Ok i fish strange but here goes, 12-24 in of 10 lb bellsinker 2-5 oz depending.. tied directly to hook, 12-24 in 50 l leader tied to barrel swivel, tied to line, this works best for be when fishing livebait, the bait has a tendancy to swim around the weight line with a 3-way this stops that, i use carolina rig when fishing cut bait or no current. I fish cut bait same way as live bait when there is a good current if you get hung the 10 lb weight line just breaks off saving you swivel, hook, and bait. Flatheads have an overbite like a pug dog... seems like they cannot pick upbait off the bottom so ALWAYS ensure your bait is off the bottom. I hope thias helps and circle hooks improved my catch ratio with live bait by alot..used to catch one every 3-5 bites now i catch 3 every5 bites!!! also very easy to cpr with circle hooks. Never keep more than youll eat and not just good fishing but GOOD CATCHIN as well.

12. jason21b

jason21b New Member

State:
    tennessee
    thank you guys for all the helpful information i came from texas and we would fish small lakes and ponds this is my first time really fishing in a river i am fishing from the bank just dont have the time to take a 9 hr trip to Pa and pick up my boat you guys are a lifesaver and if anyone ever wants to meet up in clarksville and go fishing sometime just let me know and we will see what we can do always wanting to learn more from experienced people

13. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    hmm i didnt know cutting down on leader helps with snags thank you bro maybe i can save some of my circles hehe:big_smile:

14. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I use a Carolina rig with no roll sinkers.

15. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have to make a correction I also use a Carolina rig, instead of Texas rig, I hope I did not confuse anyone. I would rather loose a hook than a weight . I use gills a lot and drop right off boat hit bottom and crank up just enough to get off the bottom. At night I only use the lights required by law.

16. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Looks like I am off for 4 nights so I am planning on hitting the lake each night.I got to run to Paris Tn for duck blind registeration on Sat morning.But other than that got a free weekend to fish and do whatever I feel like.Think me and a buddy of mine is going after the hybrids and then cats Friday night.