Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

rigs?Lakes?maps?

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  gearhead 
#1 ·
hey guys i was wondering what kind of rigs everyone uses to cat fish such as i use typically a 1/4 to 1/2 ounce weight (egg) followed by a bead (plastic or glass) followed by a nice sized swivel followed by a 2-5 ft leader then my hook i was just wondering cause im going to start hitting some of the bigger lakes in the summer like high rock baiden tillary and maybe tuckertown and norman so if u have any maps u can send me of these lakes that would be nice to but anyways yeah just let me know what kind of rigs u use for the big boys and i do appreciate it till next time good fishing to all
:wink:

#7 ·
I put a float on with drifting and catch alot of fish with differant leaders.The blue in my avatar was caught at badin drifting . But sometimes when im feeling lazy and i don't convert all my drift rigs back to a standard anchor rig like I mentioned above and anchor up and throw out a drift rig rod with a float on .I seldom get a fish on the drift rig with a float when im anchored. I put a split weight above the slinky to keep the float from rising toward the surface with my bait .I dont know why but it dosent work much for me so I dont use a float at all when anchoring anymore. :tounge_out:

#9 ·
#10 ·
I use 40# BG for main line; a sinker slider; a bead; large swivel; 12-18" 60# flourocarbon leader; 8/0 Gami Octopus Circle. I use this rig for drifting or while anchored. I do not use bobbers to drift I usually fish 6 rods off my rod holder out the back of my boat straight down and drift or power drift. I let my sinker go straight to the bottom and give er 2 to 3 cranks up off the bottom. It works great for me. I just use my trolling motor to get me where I need to be while drifting or in no current or wind I use it to ease me along at about .2 to .3 MPH. I use 4-8 oz sinkers according to what I need to keep me lines straight up and down. I also watch my depth finder and adjust my bait depth with any depth changes. It takes a little work sometimes but it works. The sinker sliders are great because they do not scuff the line at all and I have yet to break my line on a fish since I switched to them; it is also easy to change sinkers.

#13 ·
I use the eagle claw 7/0 khale for anchoring because its a great dummy hook thats what some of us call it ,what I mean is that is very forgiving you can jump up and cross their eyes if you want to or let them hook their self and just reel it like a circle and you can buy 50 for @ $7.00 once you move up to 8/0 and up they call them king khale and they cost alot more. I do use 6/0 gamakatzu octopus circles for drifting with slinkys and a 2 1/2" float .The circles tend to hang up less when drifting. They are more costly though .I don't like circles when anchoring and the fish runs toward the boat and the line goes slack, circles don't work to good when you caught in that position. JMO :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.