Rigs for fishing around riprap

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfish-for-life, Sep 5, 2006.

1. catfish-for-life

catfish-for-life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am going to be using 80lb power pro braid with a 65lb big game leader for big cats around rip rap. I will be fishing from the bank. I was previously using 50 lb spiderwire without a mono leader and was snagging alot and my line was breaking easily do to the abuse of the rocks. I even lost a cat that felt quite heavy do to my line breaking. I have decided to increase the strength of my line as well as add the mono leader to ensure I can cast far and hopefully take the abuse from the rocks. My question is, should I be using a 3 way swivel for these conditions with maybe a 15lb test leader to the sinker; or should I continue to use a slip-rig when bottom fishing? Hopeing to figure out how to reduce snags or save some of my rig. Thanks Guys....

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Either rig should work for you. The three way would let you break the weight and not swivel away if you got hung. Have you considered using a bobber (katbobber)?

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Personally, I think you should get rid of the Braided line around those rocks, I would use 30-40lb Big Game Monofilament. And the Three-Way rig would help save your hook and swivel if you put the smaller line on your sinker, that is probably a good idea if snags are a problem for you. And as Laidback asked, have you tried Slip Bobbers? They may work good for you depending on what type of water you're fishing, I know from the Bank it can be hard to use a Bobber.

4. catfish-for-life

State:
    Kentucky
    The tailwater is so swift I believe a bobble would float to the bank.

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Made this in paint real quick, so its not the best pic hehe, but will give ya an Idea..

This will sacrifice the weight if snagged, but will keep your bait up off the bottom out of the rocks and should save most the rig if snagged.. The weight will sit on bottom, the float will suspend your bait at however long your weight leader is..

Attached Files:

6. catfish-for-life

State:
    Kentucky
    Oh, I see now. I am going to go and buy some small floats tomarrow. Appreciate it.:smile2:

7. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I don't know how long of a mono leader you are using or are planning to use with the braided line. But, I would suggest trying a leader length of at least double the length of your rod and then using a Paternoster rig. Use either a Palomar knot or dropper loop to tie your hook 18 inches or so above your sinker. And, at the tag end of your line (below the hook) tie in a piece of copper wire (or whatever) (with a loop in one end to tie your line to) that is long enough to go through your slip sinker but with enough excess that you can bend it to an "L" shape. This way (if it is your sinker that hangs up) you can pull on the line and the bend in the wire will straighten out and you will pull free, losing only your sinker and then all you have to do is straighten out the wire and run it thru another sinker and bend the wire into an "L" again.

Saves a lot of time and hooks if it is only the sinker that hangs.