rigs for big gizzards

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by striper steve, Nov 4, 2009.

1. striper steve

striper steve New Member

State:
    south carolina
    wondering how other people rig big gizzards(8-16in) for trolling. ive missed alot of fish and im starting to question myself. i fished monday morning caught 2, a 10lb and 16lb but missed several more hits. i rigem with a nose hook and a stinger trebble behind the top fin, the striper blow up the gizzards, im talkin mauling them but its only about a 50/50 hookup rate. is it me, the rig or just normal. thanks for any help.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you can try moving to stinger hook back alittle bit towards the tail. that may work but stripers are known for busting bait just to wound it then come back and eat it. try leaving it in the water for a few after they come up on it. when I use to striper fish freelining i would let them run for a ways then turn the clicker off and let them keep running till I feel them real good before setting the hook. what water are you fishing on?

3. striper steve

striper steve New Member

State:
    south carolina
    lake hartwell, thanks for the help

4. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Steve I had a trip back in the spring that we missed so many fish i thought about throwing my hook box in the lake, flatheadhunter is right on they will crush the shad spit it out and then come back and eat it at times. Those fish must have a strong feminine gene they are very moody but they sure are alot of fun.:006:

5. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I've seen that happen more with the bigger baits myself where they smash it then come back for it,moving the hook will maybe help , but sometimes a smaller bait will entice then to take it hard on the first strike resulting in a better hookup,if not a smaller bait then maybe at the strike open your reel into freespool and let the bait sit in tha t spot for a few seconds to see if they come back to pick up their kill,they don't alway returrn. I would try fishing some 8 to 10 inch baits right next to your bigger ones and see what happens,I am by no means a striper expert,caught a few over the years though,here and there.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Stephen Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Good luck on your striper fishing. You have some good info on baits and hook presentation.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Steve make sure you save me them dead gizzards for my cats, hehe. I almost had some live ones here for ya but CJim killed them during the ride, LOL.

Welcome to the board bro, I'll call ya today to see what your up to ; )

-Jim-

8. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Try a bigger stinger hook, and maybe move it back.

9. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    When a striper is busting a bait behind a planer, float, what have ya. Theres gona be a 50/50 hook up percentage, and sometimes less! In the replies the your post, most everyone said the stripers are triing to stun your bait, and thats true. But the hook up ratio isnt near as good as the action..

Over my years of striper fishing there isnt much that can be done to produce more hook ups.

A stringer hook works great. But the only downfall is when a fish does take a bait aggressivly. The stinger hook can get swallowed and hooked in the gullet, which makes the survival rate of a released striper, slim to none. Thats what makes me look down on a stinger hook. Although i will use them, but generaly only when you have those days, when the action is Great, the hookup rate is none. but still then I only run 1-3 rods with stinger hooks. and that can be out of a spread of 6 planers and 2 floats.

For my stinger hooks, I tie a double snelled hook rig. You'll have to google up that, for i cant explain how to tie it with out pictures. But Its simple, except i make one alteration. On the second hook or stinger hook in the demonstration, it shows to snell tie the stinger hook. Which i use treble hooks so therefor i tie them with a polamar. General, i use a 6/0 gamakatsu hook, i always snell tie an octopus hook. If i use a stinger hook, normally its a #2 gamakatsu Treble...

Two OTHER methods i use when the hook up ratio is bad is.

When a fish has blown up on a bait, several times behind a float, planer board etc, Give him all the time he needs. Dont try to pull it away or drop back on the fish. Even if the fish has quit showing himself on the bait. Leave the bait out there, dont pull it in to check the bait. You'll be surprised how long a striper will take to come back to the bait. I give the bait Atleast 5mins longer once the striper has quit showing himself before i check the bait.

The second method. when a striper has hit a bait, hard enough to release the planer board or my redi-rig floats. I will then and only then drop the bait back to the fish. In other words, i will grab the rod and let if freespool agaisnt the board and bait, sittin in the water column, as i continue to troll along. Chances are this fish or another fish is more aggresive and will return to chow down. Simply let the fish eat, and just as you would, once he pulls you engage your reel and set the hook...

Hope this helps...