rigs and techniques for snagging carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by stick500, Feb 7, 2008.

1. stick500

stick500 New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    I'd like to try and go after some carp below a dam this winter. I live in southern Wisconsin and of course it's open water where the water is falling.
    1) Does anyone think they'll even be there this time of the year? (I hear they really show up after spring floods below dams).
    and 2) What is the best rig and technique for snagging them? The depth is no more than 10 feet and the bottom is sharp rocks. I imagine you would want the sinker below the treble hook?
    Any tips would be appreciated- I'm ready for action as soon as I can!

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    WELCOME TO THE BOC STEVE DONT KNOW ABOUT SNAGGING CARP

3. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC Steve, I've never tryed to snag carp but the snag hooks I've seen had the hook molded around the treble hook.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Steve, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there. Get your 10 posts in and send Bait Boat ( Reagan) from Arkansas a pm, he does a lot of snagging and can help you out.

5. Parasite

Parasite New Member

State:
    N.Colorado
    Carp can be hard to snag because they sppok easily. Just throw a small hook in their with some corn on it and you will get tons.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Lots of Asian carp are snagged below the dams here in central Arkansas, and there are lots of different setups used, some effective, some not. One popular method that's also effective is to make up your terminal snagging rig with heavy nylon cord. Tie a loop in the end of the cord; 8"-12" below that, tie on a large treble hook; make a half-hitch on one bend of the hook so that the line will still hang straight down; 18"-24" below that, tie on another treble hook and make a half-hitch on one bend. Use a flame to burn the cord in two about a foot or two below the bottom hook so you have something to attach your sinker to. Make up several of these, and hang them on the edge of a plastic 5-gallon bucket. Place your sinkers and any other stuff inside the bucket for easy transportation. When you're ready to snag, simply tie your fishing line to the loop of your snagging rig, attach a sinker to the bottom, and snag away. When you hang up and have to break off, you have another rig right there ready to attach.

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Never been much of one to snag carp but I've watched it done many times.
    You do want your hook above the sinker but only about an inch above it.
    To do that just tie your sinker at the end of oyur line then your hook slightly above the sinker.
    Now wrap the line between the hook and sinker around the center of your hook until the sinker is about an inch below the hook.
    You are ready to snag.
    Like I said I haven't done much snagging but I can tell you that the 2 places I've spent the most time watching have fairly flat rock river bottoms. I'm guessing with sharp jagged rock bottom you'd better have plenty of hooks and sinkers on hand.
    good luck
    just

8. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    big head carp we used 1 # weight # 10 trebles about 2 feet apart 2 oa 3 hooks but what are they good for

9. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    just like everyone says hook then weight i trail the weight about 4 in behind.

10. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    you want to sight fish for them if you are snagging. you snag them just like a salmon. the best time to snag carp is during the spawn. they get schooled up and are easy pickings. good luck and welcome to the BOC/SOC.

11. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Yes, your weight below the treble hook. Tie on your treble hook. tie a half hitch around one of the hooks, right on the curve, then about 6 inches and tie on your sinker. The reason you tie the sinker close to the hook, is so your sinker doesn't snag a rock when you are bringing the fish in. If you leave that sinker trailing too much and the fish dives close to the rocks... forget about it.