Right rod for a Penn 310 gti ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by anakin, Jun 29, 2006.

1. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Whats the best rod to mate with the reel?

2. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    You will get alot of different answers for this one. It all depends on your intended use for the reel. Are you fishing from bank, boat or both? What size flatheads or blues are you tagetting? How far do you need to cast? I am assuming you didn't buy the hefty 310GTi for eater sized channel cats.:big_smile: You definitely got a great reel with lots of cranking power and a tough drag to haul in the big-uns. If I wanted one rod for all purposes I would mate the 310 up to a one piece 7-foot Shakespeare model BWC2202 Ugly Stik Tiger rod in medium/heavy action for around $50 and you would have a very solid and strong combo for bank or boat fishing. Abu

3. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    anakin;
    I would just like to ad one thing to Abu's advice and that is to take a look at the Skakespeare Ugly Stik "Big Water Rods" too.
    Abu is right, you have a Powerful Reel there. I have read a great many posts that speak highly of the "Tiger" rods so you most likely would not go wrong there, but take a little extra time and look several different rods over. That way you will have a better chance of getting the right one the first time. :smile2:
    Abu is also correct in that you have several things to consider about how you will be using that reel too. Your going to get a lot of posts with advice which should help you narrow things down a bit, but in the end, it's always YOUR Choice.
    There is only one other suggestion I might make. You could skip the factory rod scene all together and just go get a GATOR Custom Rod!:big_smile:
    Now that I have probably really confused you with what I said on top of Abu's advice I'm gonna close and get this sent. :roll_eyes:
    Seriously, take some extra time and think about what you what to use that reel for, and it will make your rod choice(s) easier for you and you will have a better chance of making the right choice the first time.
    "Welcome Aboard"
    "Walk In Peace"
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

4. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Ive been craving a ugly tiger for some time now. mh tiger is rated for 30-60 lbs & felt maybe the reel was a lil to small since its only rated for 15 lb test. I been using 50# gorilla wire on my abu 6500 & am going to use it on the 310.

Also been looking at the 220 gto, what do you guys think about that reel compared to the 310 gti?

5. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Two rods i'd match with that reel would be a quantum bigcat heavy series or a catmaxx heavy series rod. Either will bring in anything you may encounter on the water. Even a buick!

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've got several 310 GTI's and a couple of 220 GTO's

The 310's cast a little better because of the smaller, lighter spool. The 220's hold more line, and have a MUCH stronger drag. The 310's are about half a pound lighter, which can make a big difference for somebody carrying a bundle of them a mile down the river bank, but for most folks the weight is not that important. The 220's are a little more noisy when reeling in.

If I had to choose, I would probably get the 220's and let the 310's go, but they are both good reels.

I'm a fan of Tiger Rods, the 7' M or MH.

7. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i got the 220 gto on the 7 ft ugly stick tiger combo wow what a nice setup

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    My Penn 310gti is on a StCroix Classic Cat heavy action rod it is a great setup, but that rod is no longer made. My next investment in a rod will be one made by Gator. I've talked to people that own them, looked at the rods he built for them. They are great looking, top quality rods that will give a lifetime of service.

http://www.akwolf.com/GatorsRods/

9. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Just place my order at catfish connection for his & hers 310 gti's & 7 ' med action ugly tigers. One for my girl & one for me, were headed up to the river the weekend of the 8th for some big ones. Wish us luck... Thks for the advice..

10. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dwaine;
    You and your lady make a list, check it twice and then once more so you don't forget anything, and then have a Fun and SAFE trip!:smile2:
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 310 gti on a ugly stik tiger m/h, it cast great with 30-lb test mono, it for certain would be a great combo.