Right motor for Jonboat?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by solomon, Aug 15, 2005.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I don't see a general chat place, and can't get in the chat room so I'll post this here. As you know Bobpaul, I've got that 9.5 i'm gonna fix. I've got a 14' jon that I don't really trust in the river, so retiring it to the pond or something. I've priced an Alweld 10' jon with a 42' bottom, just for me and occasionally maybe one other person to fish out of. I'm know the motor will push it. I'm just not sure how well. I like the idea of a short, wide boat for just myself. Any comments on how this setup will perform? (assuming that the motor is in good condition)

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I can't imagine myself in a 10' boat anywhere other than in a pond. It reminds me of the cement mixing tub myself and a friend used to ride down this creek in my back yard when it rained. we were 9 yrs old then. We also sunk it several times.

How deep is this boat?

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    19" side height
    42" floor width
    61" beam

4. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I'm like BobPaul, I wouldn't trust a 10' jon on the river but that is just me. IMHO I wouldn't use anything smaller than a 14' jon.

5. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I have to agree, a 10 ft boat while it would be ok in small pond is not bigf enough for my fat self anywhere else.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    When i was a tad younger I used to take my 10 foot jon in alot of places I wouldnt today. You get smarter with age . :D

A bit overloaded at best with a small front deck on it, trolling motor on the bow, 3 horse gas on the back, battery, 2 fisherman and gear used to find us puttering across Jordan , Harris, and Wheeler lakes.
    It was a normal occurrence for water to come over the bow and the boat to shudder.
    We're talking a 1965 Sears jon though. They were built to last.
    I was still an idiot that lived for one thing and that was fishing and nobody bothered to tell me I was an idiot. I guess they got used to see us coming back in all the time still afloat.
    Darn good experience though. Taught me how to read waves.

7. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Where I fish is a small river, probably about 40 - 50 yards across at the most, mild current unless the water is up. Average depth 6 - 10 feet. I fish there and a tributary creek that borders out hunting property. I was just considering the 10' because it would be real easy to get in and out by myself. What about a 12'? 14'? How would that setup perform? I've got a friend with a 1240 MV with an evinrude 30. It's way too much motor. But then I've got another friend with a 1436 with a newer model merc 25 that dosen't perform too well, even with just the two of us in it. I figured even with being a 10' boat, being 42

8. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    that posted for some reason before I was through typing.

I was saying that being 42" wide I though it might be a lot more stable than your average 10' boat. :confused:

9. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Soloman see if you can get in the chat room. Go to the top and click on it. I am in there now.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I don;t consider myself very smart,as I seem to learn by experience.For over 50 years of my life, water and boats have been a part of it.I have spent many hours looking for people,that made the wrong choice about boats.We think about the use,when we buy.We seldom think about the most important thing.Will "I" or "we"be able to survive the worst thing that WILL happen in,or to this boat?Bad,unexpected things will happen.The smaller the boat,the better chance of going into the water.Not only your life,but the lives of your family,depend on the right choice.What happens to you affects your family.Too large a boat,is way safer than,too small.Too small a motor,is way safer than,too large.Small light john boats,and motors in the 9-10 hp.range,have been the center stage for a lot of incidents in my lifetime.The "we"includes me.I am alive due to luck,and experience,not due to being smart.

11. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    alright yall have me convinced. What about a 12'? :D

12. EDDIE R. CRAWFORD

EDDIE R. CRAWFORD New Member

State:
    JUSTIN, TX
    YOU JUST HAVE TO USE YOUR HEAD. I USE A 12' JON W/ A 5 HP 4 STROKE
    MERC FOR DENTON CREEK AND THE SHORE LINES OF GRAPEVINE, RAY ROBERTS HERE IN NORTH TEXAS.
    THE JON IS A BASS PRO SHOPS TOPPER WHICH IS KINDA SHALLOW SIDED. SO YOU WONT CATCH ME HEADING ACROSS EITHER OF THESE TWO LAKES IN IT. AS LONG AS YOU PAY ATTENTION TO THE WEATHER AROUND YOU WHILE YOUR ON A LAKE (WEATHER HERE IN NORTH TEXAS CAN CHANG IN A HEART BEAT) YOU CAN BE SAFE.
    ANOTHER REASON I STAY CLOSE TO THE SHORE LINES IS THE THOUGHT LESS PLEASURE BOATERS AND SKIERS! BUT I,VE NOTICED WHEN YOU CAST
    A 6" LONG HELLBENDER WITH ALL THOSE TREBLE HOOKS OVER THEIR ROPE JUST IN FRONT OF THEM, THEY GET THE POINT! :eek:

13. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Solomon, I had a 1442 with a 2 stroke Merc 25 that ran well. The reason your buddies boat is not running well is probably the motor position. They have about a 2" tolerance up or down to mount them but just a small amount low or high will affect performance. I just helped a buddy reposition a 50 hp tiller handle on a 1652 that gained several mph over the original set up.

14. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I use a 14/42 Lowe with a 15 and it does pretty good. It is stable, but sometimes I wish I had more HP. I have been in a 12/42 and I wouldn't want to be on the river in anything smaller. It has a 9.9 on it and does OK. A 10/42 would probably need at least a 9.9 to pull good against the current. My brother-in-law has a 12/36 with a 5 and it does ok in a pond but would be slow upstream in the river. I wish I had a wider boat for more room.

15. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Well after the storm I found a boat and trailer that someone had that his barn fell on. The boat was slightly twisted, but I got that out pretty easy. The front seat popped off a couple of the rivets, but I can fix that too. The magic tilt trailer was hurt though. I'm going to try to fix it, but I don't know how that's gonna turn out. The boat's a 2001 G3 1442. I still have that Johnson 9.5, with parts on order. Finally gonna get around to fixing it. So far, with parts for the motor and everything, I've got 400 in the rig (and it's gonna stay that way if I can fix the trailer!)